Fuel Injected Yz450F installing lighting kit

6 replies to this topic
  • iantihero

Posted July 28, 2015 - 06:39 PM

Hey all, I am trying to add the following items: LED Bar 8" 46Watt or 5Amp current draw, 2 turn signals (Tusk Flush Mounts) , integrated rear brake with Nissin Pressure Switch, and the Vapor Speedometer.
I know how to wire things really really good, but this manual of mine is so stinking lousy that I don't know where I should make my connection into the wiring harness for all my equipment to run, I am using the Tusk Bar Mount Turnsignal, headlight, horn switch. So if anyone knows where I should splice into at would be amazing help. I have looked at diagrams for probably 2 hours and don't understand a thing.. I am no electrical wiz or mechanic but I'm not that dumb to not know what to do. I just need to find where to splice into AND which color wiries... I am going to shrink tube every wire after installing my custom setup for on/off road use. Thanks!!

Edited by iantihero, July 28, 2015 - 06:43 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2015 - 06:51 AM

The YZ450 from '10 and up uses an AC magneto producing about 120 watts to power an all DC system.  The red leads in the harness are ~12V positive.  Trail Tech and/or Baja Designs make a plug-in harness that piggybacks on the ECU connector that can be used as a power source, or you can simply tap into one of the larger gauge red lead leads anywhere downstream of the regulator/rectifier.

• iantihero

Posted July 29, 2015 - 06:12 PM

Thanks GrayRacer! I found a Tusk 2011 Wr450F Wiring Harness and wondering if I was able to use that on my Yz450F also?

I saw the Baja Designs plug and play harness but it seemed like too much money for just a clips and wiring.

If I am able to do so, with the Tusk Wr450F harness could I use the Baja Designs Harness to power it (or other words charge the battery connected to the harness ??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • iantihero

Posted July 29, 2015 - 06:17 PM

Thanks GrayRacer! I found a Tusk 2011 Wr450F Wiring Harness and wondering if I was able to use that on my Yz450F also?
I saw the Baja Designs plug and play harness but it seemed like too much money for just a clips and wiring.
If I am able to do so, with the Tusk Wr450F harness could I use the Baja Designs Harness to power it (or other words charge the battery connected to the harness ??

I still have to buy a flasher relay and am now wishing I just bought the Tusk kit for $175... I've spent just that on a LED Bar with spot light/Flood (Hi/Lo Concept).
Maybe I should return everything I bought but the head light and buy the kit that has everything? Even though it's not specifically for my 2011 yz450f ?? I've spent about $90 of bits and pieces of the kit, but $100 was due to a Vapor Speedo/Tachometer..

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2015 - 06:11 AM

Nope.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 30, 2015 - 07:44 AM

The '11 WR is not injected, you need to 2010 and on YZ harness.  It's only about $15 from Baja Designs, not that expensive.

• iantihero

Posted July 30, 2015 - 07:44 PM

The '11 WR is not injected, you need to 2010 and on YZ harness.  It's only about $15 from Baja Designs, not that expensive.

Yeah, I figured that , I have a 2011 Yz450F I just installed the Vapor Speedeter , and the Tusk light switch with mirror, just waiting on harnesses to prove that it will work just perfect as so far everything has come together awesome!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.