Warped brake reservoir?

6 replies to this topic
  • Hunter_zack

Posted July 28, 2015 - 09:07 AM

Hey guys. Google search failed me. The plastic rear brake reservoir warped into an egg shape and is partially charred to the point that the cap cant seal and brake fluid flows out. Any idea what could cause this? Im not worried about buying a new one but want to know the root problem. Idk if i boiled my brakes, or if it got too close to my exhaust during a crash. Any input or experience is appreciated!

• k.g

Posted July 28, 2015 - 09:22 AM

Hey guys. Google search failed me. The plastic rear brake reservoir warped into an egg shape and is partially charred to the point that the cap cant seal and brake fluid flows out. Any idea what could cause this? Im not worried about buying a new one but want to know the root problem. Idk if i boiled my brakes, or if it got too close to my exhaust during a crash. Any input or experience is appreciated!

What bike? What exhaust? What brake fluid? DOT3, 4, 5, 5.1? We need more details.

• William1

Posted July 28, 2015 - 12:26 PM

Not unheard of.

A lot of guys when replacing the reservoir (you have to buy the entire assy, (res, master) replace with a all metal one. Most have similar dimensions and all you need to really be worried about is the diameter of the masters' piston. As K.G. said, make and model makes a difference if you want help. chances are, it is a not unknown issue for your your bike, if you look.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DR.billZ

Posted July 29, 2015 - 06:02 AM

Never. Heard. Of. Such. Wow that is a strange situation for sure.

• Hunter_zack

Posted July 29, 2015 - 11:16 AM

2001 yz426f. Gytr exhaust
Im starting to look at converting to a solid one piece mc from a newer model, but am not sure what year/make/model fit. I am finding that the honda mc works better, but both are nissin? Any clue how i can tell what will be direct bolt on?

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2015 - 12:23 PM

I bolted an '03 YZ450F M/C onto my son's '01 YZ250F.  It fit without modification, but in order to open the reservoir cap, we had to remove the upper bolt and tilt it back because there wasn't clearance against the subframe.

• Hunter_zack

Posted July 29, 2015 - 12:42 PM

I bolted an '03 YZ450F M/C onto my son's '01 YZ250F. It fit without modification, but in order to open the reservoir cap, we had to remove the upper bolt and tilt it back because there wasn't clearance against the subframe.

I would be alright with this. Hopefully there won't be too many times i have to add fluid.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.