Little wipeout on my new to me 07 YZ450f and bike will no longer start

6 replies to this topic
  • LeeRidesYamaha

Posted July 27, 2015 - 03:22 PM

Just bought the bike, took it up my dead end road with a grass shoulder. The bike like killed upshifting into third/fourth, and my rear end locked up and slid out fron underneath me. Knee is scraped, and my forearm is cut up, but the bike will not start. It turns over, but just will not start. I'm hoping it is just a flooded carburetor, but what else could it be? I stopped trying to start it maybe ten minutes after the incident so I could shower and tend to my wounds. Then I came back out a half hour later and tried starting it. Nothing. Kicks over and all that, but sounds almost like its out of fuel. Like it isn't even trying to start. And when I try roll starting it, it kind of sounds sputtery and will not start. I need help.

• Slow and Jerky

Posted July 28, 2015 - 04:52 AM

Start with a new plug, But, the fact that it died like it did makes me think that it jumped valve timing. 

• Honda-Man-610

Posted July 28, 2015 - 05:30 AM

Is the fuel on?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2015 - 06:34 AM

"A little wipe-out and it won't start" is quite a little bit different than, "the engine locked up in third gear", don't you think?

If it was me, I'd pull the cam cover and take a look at the timing for starters.  Valve clearances, too.  If you find a bunch of them way too loose, it means the valves hit the piston and they're bent.

Does the bike turn over and feel like it has normal compression?

• LeeRidesYamaha

Posted July 28, 2015 - 06:53 AM

Start with a new plug, But, the fact that it died like it did makes me think that it jumped valve timing.

Yeah. Thats what one guy had said. But if it jumped valve timing before it quit, the piston could have smacked a valve and there's some big repairs there... Do you think I'm unlucky enough to have that happen, or will it just need to be timed?

Edited by LeeRidesYamaha, July 28, 2015 - 07:53 AM.

• LeeRidesYamaha

Posted July 28, 2015 - 06:55 AM

"A little wipe-out and it won't start" is quite a little bit different than, "the engine locked up in third gear", don't you think?

If it was me, I'd pull the cam cover and take a look at the timing for starters.  Valve clearances, too.  If you find a bunch of them way too loose, it means the valves hit the piston and they're bent.

Does the bike turn over and feel like it has normal compression?

Yes.. Ive been trying to psych myself out of that scenario, and was waiting until it could get torn apart. The bike does kick over and sounds and feels like it has normal compression.

• Slow and Jerky

Posted July 28, 2015 - 10:06 AM

If it did jump time I would replace the chain at the very least and take a good look at the tensioner. there is a chance the valves are okay.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.