Is the 2016 Worth $500 Over a New 2015?

Yamaha YZ250F

32 replies to this topic
  • phantom451

Posted July 26, 2015 - 06:08 PM

• HwyChile

Posted July 26, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Monk:

Thanks for the heads up.  You are correct that I do not have any idea about a 450.  I have never ridden one.  I just assumed it was the next step up for me, but maybe I need to rethink this some after all.  I know that KTM makes great bikes, but I prefer to deal with Yamaha here in the US.  When i start seeing as many KTM dealerships here in the US as the Japanese then I will start looking into them.  Plus, they seem to do too many complete redesigns which means the parts replacement could be a problem.  

How much more powerful would the new YZ250F be than my 2011?  Maybe I should get one of those.

• Monk

Posted July 26, 2015 - 07:21 PM

Monk:

Thanks for the heads up. You are correct that I do not have any idea about a 450. I have never ridden one. I just assumed it was the next step up for me, but maybe I need to rethink this some after all. I know that KTM makes great bikes, but I prefer to deal with Yamaha here in the US. When i start seeing as many KTM dealerships here in the US as the Japanese then I will start looking into them. Plus, they seem to do too many complete redesigns which means the parts replacement could be a problem.

How much more powerful would the new YZ250F be than my 2011? Maybe I should get one of those.

All out HP, maybe 4-5hp at peak. But most people (including myself) cannot ride at that RPM range for sustained amount of time. The biggest advantages a new YZ250F would offer being how the bike handles and feels, and the power is quite a bit broader then the 2011 YZF. Your previous YZF was a very bottom-end dominate motor. They never really revved put far and signed off quite early. 2012/2013 models were that much better but the 2010/2011 was nothing to write home about. The 2014-current models ideally run better, rev faster and rev farther. I've considered dropping down to a 250f for the the advantages they offer, one important thing being is even if the bike's are only 10lbs lighter then a 450f, they feel more like 30lbs. They don't wear you out nearly as fast as a 450.

The downsides are there too though. On technical hillclimbs, long power robbing hillclimbs and sand, heavier guys like you will have to really work to make it up. The 450s have the torque to pull you up will little to know effort. The service intervals will also be higher due to the higher RPMs on the 250f. I've put and seen a lot of hours on 450s (300hr+) with little less then oil changes and clean air filters. You would be hard pressed to find a 250f with that many hours on the original motor.

450s are just lots of motor...

• HwyChile

Posted July 26, 2015 - 07:31 PM

Monk:

Thanks for your comments.  I think you are making a lot of sense for me.  I ride some tighter trails too so that makes even more sense.  I did sit on a 450F at the dealership, and it does feel a lot heavier than my bike.  Thanks again for your comments.

Edited by HwyChile, July 26, 2015 - 07:34 PM.

• Baldwin

Posted July 27, 2015 - 02:16 AM

What about a 2016 YZ250X 2 Stroke?

• HwyChile

Posted July 27, 2015 - 03:17 AM

I thought about the YZ250X 2 stroke, but I am more of a 4 stroke guy.  I used to ride 2 strokes years ago.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2015 - 03:28 PM

Any of the 2010 and up YZ450F's can be made to deliver their power in just about any way you might like through the use of the GYT-R tuning tool, which interfaces with the onboard ECU and alters ignition timing and fuel delivery per your settings.  Obviously, you can "tame" an engine that has the capability of producing nearly 60 HP from 27 cubic inches only so much, but you really can make them quite rideable. 

But I agree you should try to get a ride on a couple of them.  They are, in the end, a purpose-built ready to ride race bike, competitive at a high level right out of the crate, and may not really be for everyone. 

• HwyChile

Posted July 30, 2015 - 02:36 PM

I purchased a new 2015 YZ250F yesterday.  I could not wait for the 2016 250f.   Unfortunately, I do not get to join the YZ450F club here, but at least I bought a Yamaha.  I should get some credit for that.  Also, I hope I don't get to ride a 450f later and find out I made a big mistake sticking with a 250f.  LOL.

• YHGEORGE

Posted July 30, 2015 - 03:39 PM

If you decide to later, the 250 should be very easy to sell if you take care of it. Very excellent bikes very much in demand. For woods use I think you made the best choice.

Edited by YHGEORGE, July 30, 2015 - 03:39 PM.

• jcm3

Posted July 31, 2015 - 08:24 AM

I purchased a new 2015 YZ250F yesterday.  I could not wait for the 2016 250f.   Unfortunately, I do not get to join the YZ450F club here, but at least I bought a Yamaha.  I should get some credit for that.  Also, I hope I don't get to ride a 450f later and find out I made a big mistake sticking with a 250f.  LOL.

If you end up feeling like you made a mistake, it's nothing you can't fix with a few thousand bucks.  That's what money is for!  :lol:

• Orvis309

Posted July 31, 2015 - 08:44 AM

I'm north or 200lbs and I have both a 2014 yz250f and a 2015 yz450f. Most of the time I'm on the 250, and almost every trail ride is on the 250. It has a ton of usable power over the 10-13 model, handles a lot better and the spring rates are much heavier. If you do get out for a ride on a 450 you may be dissapointed in your 250 but it will be missplaced. The 450 is a great bike but most of us can't us it to it's potential.

Also I will be competing in Redbull rocks and logs on the 250, not the 450...

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2015 - 09:20 AM

Some while back, Dirt Bike surveyed their testers/writers as to their 5 favorite bikes.  Six of the eight included the YZ250F in their list, and five had it at third or higher.  The thing that they all said about it was that it was just more fun than anything else.

While my son had his, and was laid up with a broken foot, I took his YZ250F out to a local spot that is characterized by twisting double and single track trails on a decomposed granite surface with sketchy traction and tight, often bermed corners.  More fun than anyone has a right to, that was.  What a little screamer.  If I had the budget for it, I'd own one along with the 450.

• Bobby WR 450 lover

Posted September 07, 2015 - 06:12 PM

I own a 2014 yz 450, all trail type riding and lots of wide open trails. I also own a 2011 wr450 and I gotta say that the power delivery is different, but the power is not that far apart. I also feel like I handle the wr450 better. The spring on the yz450 is super stiff, both front and rear. Did you buy the bike yet?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.