'04 WR450 questions

4 replies to this topic
  • Strick

Posted February 23, 2004 - 05:05 AM

First - are the woodruff key issues solved?

Second - have any problems surfaced on the '04s that a new buyer should be aware of.

Third - for those who have experience with more than one blue thumper, how is the suspension compared to my '02 WR426 (better - worse)?

Fourth - what is the 'true' weight?

Finally, I have gone through and read about the mods, which are very similar to my '02WR, but did not read about timing. Does the WR timing need to be advanced to achieve the YZ timing like the old days.

Thanks to those in the know!

• YamahaSteve

Posted February 23, 2004 - 05:36 AM

1 - Woodruff key seems to be solved.
2 - Not that I am aware of.
3- Should be about the same. They are using pretty much the same suspension equipment.
4 - haven't weighed mine but probably 270 pounds with fluids. Anyone ever weigh their WR450??

Finally - if you want to do YZ timing on the '04 WR you have to buy the YZ cam because is has the auto-decompression feature on the cam and you can not simply rotate the cam into the YZ position.

Hope that all helped you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • endurodog

Posted February 23, 2004 - 05:38 AM

I saw an article that said without gas, but oils, it's 261 pounds, that seemed about right to me.

FWIW I YZ timed my 00 WR400 and loved it. I don't feel the need to that to this bike. I ride lots of woods stuff but if I rode in the open desert all the time I think about it.

• Strick

Posted February 23, 2004 - 05:49 AM

Finally - if you want to do YZ timing on the '04 WR you have to buy the YZ cam because is has the auto-decompression feature on the cam and you can not simply rotate the cam into the YZ position.

Bummer!

• Treebark

Posted February 25, 2004 - 08:11 AM

1. Ive had my 04 since Nov. 03 and it has backfired while starting a few more times than I liked it to have and have had no problems.

2. I've had a couple bolts and nuts lost from vibration and checked the the steering head bearings and suspension bearing to find very little grease. Other than those minor things I've had no problems.

3. Don't Know.

4. I know that it's lighter than a 83'XR500R.

5. I've been told that it can't be advanced and a YZ cam would needed. I'd would like to know how much more power it would give, not that I need any more. I'll just hit trees faster.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.