Beta 350 rr ... long term report

I rode Get Dirties 350 a few seasons back. It was raced hard and a demo bike everyone enjoyed. I rode it back to back with my 300 and could not believe how light it felt. Surprisingly I did not have to keep the revs up like I thought. The turning response was unreal. Very quick and precise.

It got a fresh top end and was sold. I think the 350's are good but they do have titanium valves and are typically revved a lot harder than the bigger bore bikes.

I think Mr. Weantright had some unusual issues and then blamed the brand. Anything mechanical can and will break at some point. His was a very strange issue that was not a reflection of the brand. An example of unacceptable would be an ongoing issue with a bikes within the brand range. KTM XC4 is a prime example of a horrible motor first few years. The issues ranged from oil pump gear failing, piston, rings, oil migration, some even had the auto decompresser installed backwards! The local KTM shop had those bikes lined up in the service department with split cases ion 08-09. Very few of those bikes made it past 25 hrs before blowing up.

Another example would be my 2000 XR650R. First year model had issues with clutch bushing failure. Mine took a shit in the dunes at the worst time! It was a nightmare pulling the frozen bushing and sanding down the shaft to fit the upgraded one.

My KTM300 is another one. Poorly designed powervalve that is still used today. A boatload of failures were documented. Mine included. Beta powervalve runs on roller bearings. 

So far the only ongoing issue with Beta that needs to be addressed are the oil pump gears. Good thing about Beta is the fact they notify the customer directly for any and all service bulletins. 

Don't even get me started on BMW and Harley's! Want proof? Just hit Hwy 40 in April during the trek to Laughlin river run. All you see are BMW and Harley's broke down on the side of the road. The Harley's are usually repaired on the spot. BMW's get the fancy flatbed treatment. I actually thought of getting a Beemer at one time. Nothing more than a German piggy bank that keeps taking your money. Good bike for the rich.

Long term report on the 350? No news is good news IMO. Only one complaint so far is not that bad.

• Like 2

When the 350 came out.. it was the closest thing to a 2 stroke that Beta offered and some of course liked the in between element of being between a 2t 250 enduro and a 450... but i think a bunch have left the category and gone 2 stroke . I bet that's why Beta went with the 350 and put efi first there.. to shoot some new life into that size...just a guess ...Locally there's only a couple if that of the 350's that I'm aware of.. but 2 of my friends own them and like them. For Hawaii 2 strokes are usually the go to bikes but some still love 4 stroke enduros.. and the DS crowd of course go 4 stroke.  ..but there was so much hoopla for the 350 when it came out.. sort of how there  has been hoopla for each new edition that Beta has introduced..350, 2 stroke 250 ,300,,, and now the xtrainer is even larger than life how crazy people have gone over that bike.  

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

I read and read and read and still feel the 390 is by far the best choice for a "small" fourstroke for most riders. When Chilly says it is the best in the lineup I listen. The more I read the more that is confirmed. If only some dealers would put some on the floor; they seem to ignore everything positive about the bike.

• Like 1

I read and read and read and still feel the 390 is by far the best choice for a "small" fourstroke for most riders. When Chilly says it is the best in the lineup I listen. The more I read the more that is confirmed. If only some dealers would put some on the floor; they seem to ignore everything positive about the bike.

No offense to Chilly but he is just a rider like you or me..and that is great too for a perspective that is probably more common for a lot of us vet older riders..but has Chili ridden the whole line extensively? Idk.. I like his vids and some of his reviews etc.. but if I was going to put it to a guy that would be more of a one guy assessment I'd probably go to Jimmy Lewis.. but I don't. I collect from a wide range of sources because to me that's a better way to check out a bike without riding it my self.. which I also try to include at some point of the conversation.. and even then I'm hesistant to tell someone else riding different terrain and level of racing in different weather how I think a bike is. I just say what  my experience.. where i am in what certain conditions.. That's why I think how 350 riders feel about their bikes and expressing their experience with them mean the most here. It would be even better if guys had multiple different size Betas to compare.. that's just even better.. .   

• Like 1

Here's a locally owned ex Cody Webb bike.11 or 12 350 rr. Owner is over it and heading toward a 2 stroke..Its 2 stroke country here in technical central oahu trails.. 350 is great but in the most extreme trails less weight wins.. I'd love to tackle some technical with this though.. just to try..I ride my 525 and Im all good ..as long as i don't have to get off the bike.. The owner says this bike is great for motocross.. smooth power ..handles well and he says it's fast.. He's a vet expert..a lot younger than me.. good rider but I guess he's getting more into the technical trails..idk plus he has another dedicated 4 stroke mx bike.

1437792320307.jpg

I rode Get Dirties 350 a few seasons back. It was raced hard and a demo bike everyone enjoyed. I rode it back to back with my 300 and could not believe how light it felt. Surprisingly I did not have to keep the revs up like I thought. The turning response was unreal. Very quick and precise.

It got a fresh top end and was sold. I think the 350's are good but they do have titanium valves and are typically revved a lot harder than the bigger bore bikes.

I think Mr. Weantright had some unusual issues and then blamed the brand. Anything mechanical can and will break at some point. His was a very strange issue that was not a reflection of the brand. An example of unacceptable would be an ongoing issue with a bikes within the brand range. KTM XC4 is a prime example of a horrible motor first few years. The issues ranged from oil pump gear failing, piston, rings, oil migration, some even had the auto decompresser installed backwards! The local KTM shop had those bikes lined up in the service department with split cases ion 08-09. Very few of those bikes made it past 25 hrs before blowing up.

Another example would be my 2000 XR650R. First year model had issues with clutch bushing failure. Mine took a shit in the dunes at the worst time! It was a nightmare pulling the frozen bushing and sanding down the shaft to fit the upgraded one.

My KTM300 is another one. Poorly designed powervalve that is still used today. A boatload of failures were documented. Mine included. Beta powervalve runs on roller bearings. 

So far the only ongoing issue with Beta that needs to be addressed are the oil pump gears. Good thing about Beta is the fact they notify the customer directly for any and all service bulletins. 

Don't even get me started on BMW and Harley's! Want proof? Just hit Hwy 40 in April during the trek to Laughlin river run. All you see are BMW and Harley's broke down on the side of the road. The Harley's are usually repaired on the spot. BMW's get the fancy flatbed treatment. I actually thought of getting a Beemer at one time. Nothing more than a German piggy bank that keeps taking your money. Good bike for the rich.

Long term report on the 350? No news is good news IMO. Only one complaint so far is not that bad.

What's up with the oil pump gears? I know supposed to change after a while.. or put on the steel ones from the betamotor catalog? something like that.. but I haven't heard of what if any issue there is..

What's up with the oil pump gears? I know supposed to change after a while.. or put on the steel ones from the betamotor catalog? something like that.. but I haven't heard of what if any issue there is..

No issue. Just a maintenance bulletin to change them more frequently under hard conditions. I'm all over the steel ones next time I change them.

• Like 1

I did a solo ride with my 300RR all day on fast, flowing quad trails just to change things up a bit and I honestly wanted my built 2005 CRF250R back. It had just the right amount of power and overrev to whack the throttle open and let it grunt or scream without really focusing on the engine at all; power on flowing trails was just right. Not too much, not too little. From reading about the 350RR that's pretty much what they do best.

The 300RR was fine and enjoyable with the race map disengaged and the PV turned in to 3.5 but it will never be as linear or as balanced as a 4 stroke, it shines best in really challenging terrain.

Sad to say but I'd really like to own one of each and every bike Beta makes. Each one fills a niche perfectly.

• Like 2

I did a solo ride with my 300RR all day on fast, flowing quad trails just to change things up a bit and I honestly wanted my built 2005 CRF250R back. It had just the right amount of power and overrev to whack the throttle open and let it grunt or scream without really focusing on the engine at all; power on flowing trails was just right. Not too much, not too little. From reading about the 350RR that's pretty much what they do best.

The 300RR was fine and enjoyable with the race map disengaged and the PV turned in to 3.5 but it will never be as linear or as balanced as a 4 stroke, it shines best in really challenging terrain.

Sad to say but I'd really like to own one of each and every bike Beta makes. Each one fills a niche perfectly.

Oh yea.. this motorcycle thing is an illness.. a good one.. I'll tell you what.. it is really an illness.. i lost my mind and am getting another bike.. I was talking to my friend that has Cody Webbs old 350 rr. 12? well one of them.. and guess what. I'm on my way to go pick it up. I'm buying it. It has some cosmetic issues and a side cover is cracked.. clutch side i think.. gotta get a good skid plate. .. I have to tak an accounting of what it needs... but I'm a Beta motorcycle hoarder.. if my wife finds out she'll kill me.. &%$#@!em. life is short.. I got a good deal..friend deal. I knew him his whole life.. he also is from a motorcycle family. His Dad and my Dad drag raced harleys in the 60's.. Anyway I'm buying that 350. I was trying to talk my self out of it but I couldn't hold myself back. Hope the motor isn't on the verg of being toast.. but whatever.. life is short.. On my way to buy it now..    As far as the 300 goes.. I make the bike as mellow as possible..and still that bike has all the beans i want if I turn the throttle.. but in the mellow adjustment the bike is awesome.. I've got the PV flush and in the most linear mode and not in the race map.. The bike is awesome.. but 4 strokes have their own nice place too.. All of these bikes are great.. but still looking forward to seeing what other 350 owners have to say..even if it's shitty bad news. I don't care .. it is what it is.. but I know a bunch like these too so I'll find out.. and post up.  ..probably wont be for awhile.. but I got the bike.. I might have to be doing sone refurbishing.. guaranty some work.. fork seals are blown.. so the forks will be done right off the bat.

• Like 3

Oh yea.. this motorcycle thing is an illness.. a good one.. I'll tell you what.. it is really an illness.. i lost my mind and am getting another bike.. I was talking to my friend that has Cody Webbs old 350 rr. 12? well one of them.. and guess what. I'm on my way to go pick it up. I'm buying it. It has some cosmetic issues and a side cover is cracked.. clutch side i think.. gotta get a good skid plate. .. I have to tak an accounting of what it needs... but I'm a Beta motorcycle hoarder.. if my wife finds out she'll kill me.. &%$#@!em. life is short.. I got a good deal..friend deal. I knew him his whole life.. he also is from a motorcycle family. His Dad and my Dad drag raced harleys in the 60's.. Anyway I'm buying that 350. I was trying to talk my self out of it but I couldn't hold myself back. Hope the motor isn't on the verg of being toast.. but whatever.. life is short.. On my way to buy it now..    As far as the 300 goes.. I make the bike as mellow as possible..and still that bike has all the beans i want if I turn the throttle.. but in the mellow adjustment the bike is awesome.. I've got the PV flush and in the most linear mode and not in the race map.. The bike is awesome.. but 4 strokes have their own nice place too.. All of these bikes are great.. but still looking forward to seeing what other 350 owners have to say..even if it's shitty bad news. I don't care .. it is what it is.. but I know a bunch like these too so I'll find out.. and post up.  ..probably wont be for awhile.. but I got the bike.. I might have to be doing sone refurbishing.. guaranty some work.. fork seals are blown.. so the forks will be done right off the bat.

Damn, I'm jealous!

Jimmy seemed to like it. After reading the article it's exactly what I would have expected and a great bike.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/off-road-bikes/141_1112_2012_beta_350_rr/

Edited by sandlvr69
  • Like 1

Damn, I'm jealous!

Jimmy seemed to like it. After reading the article it's exactly what I would have expected and a great bike.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/off-road-bikes/141_1112_2012_beta_350_rr/

I'm not sure what I have exactly now.. I think I have the 50 zokes.. picked up the bike in the middle of the night.. I have been checking it quickly but just left it for tommorrow. There are some issues .. It needs a good skid plate bad.. It's been run without and side covers on both sides have been broken..JB weld action...yuk... so I'll look at the bike and take a tally of what's needed first and what I can get later..and try to not blink my eyes and spend a grand..lol. It's easy to do that.. So right off the bat it's the forks being redone.. the ignition cover for sure and a beefy skidplate.. That's the first order.. then repack the silencer. It's got a spark arrestor on there.. Then I think I'll look for a rear disc guard.. and then maintenance added on of course.. It doesn't have a kick stand but I don't need that yet. The bike runs real well from what I can tell and what I've seen. The first ride will tell me more. I need to give it a good cleaning and some aluminum brightener to freshen up the look of the motor.. I'll need to do some polishing and deal with some of the stains..a little refurbish shouldn't be too bad.. just have to watch.. like I said.. it's easy to blink my eyes and a grand is gone... actually with me it could be more..  ?  ?  :ride:  Well I guess I'll be posting up about this 350 later.. but I don't know how its been  for the last couple of years riding though..

• Like 2

Holy damn shit!! Good for you my man! And here I am not riding for the next month (dental work, medical, car repairs etc). Happy for you Duane. I can't wait to see you get that thing dialed in and a ride report.

I was looking for  an upgraded van .. My current van has no air working and is leaking some power steering fluid.. ?   but when I stumbled upon this deal I just couldn't pass it up.. it really isn't a "smart" move on my part.. I have a flock of bikes..other priorities should be placed ahead.. but this is an old family friend who hooked me up with the bike and I couldn't pass up the deal. Some of my other friends are telling me.. "What are you going to do with that bike?".. and they are right I guess. I have the best in the 300rr and I have my 525 rs which is great.. not to mention I haven't gotten rid of my gasgas.. which I thought I had but  the guy changed his mind yesterday..oh well. I am excited about the bike and i look forward to seeing how it runs... but I have a lot of irons in the fire.. screw it. I just have to be careful with money.. I have to do some dental work too, and some car repair.. and I'm sweatin in this heat with my broken air..but I have cool bikes .. to me at least!!!?  ?  :ride:  

• Like 1

You may be right that the 390 is right for you.. but another thing to consider is that there is a dealer ride where they try all the bikes and then order what they like.. So they have all the bikes side by side and then make up their minds on what they like. My dealer told me he thought the 430 was the best all around bike in his estimation and he likes the 2 strokes alot.. but it just depends on what dealers liked.

Here's some of the test rides at the dealer meeting if I'm not mistaken..

..no 

vid of the 350 though.. but they rode it.. 390 too.. even the 125 4t.. and some race pro bikes.. cullens , pearson etc.