Synthetic Oil ?????

39 replies to this topic
  • Eagle426

Posted February 24, 2004 - 06:02 PM

Has anyone tried oil products from Royal Purple?

• AkRider

Posted February 24, 2004 - 06:49 PM

ColdChillin If you just got your bike I would suggest getting some protection for it. Radiator braces are a must. The radiators on these are real wide and bend easy. As far as oil goes just change it often. :)

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 24, 2004 - 08:46 PM

It's not how good the oil is, it's how good your filter is. The clutch sharing oil with a piston/valves etc. makes me nervous. :)

You know I was also at first but now that I've owned three 4xx's and they've all been solid in the oil related items (oil consumption, bearing failure, etc.)I'm not so concerned. I don't think it's really an issue as long as you change the oil regularly. Heck my buddy's brand new CRF uses more oil than any of my WR's ever did. Frankly I'd be more worried about only having 650cc's of oil in the crankcase :D. Every XR ever made runs the clutch and the crank in the same oil and you know how bulletproof they are.

• ColdChillin

Posted February 25, 2004 - 02:29 AM

Good info guys.
I changed the oil last night. I put Shell Rotella 15w40 in the bike, also put the same in my wifes little TTR125LE. I discovered that I need a bike stand worse than what I thought. I've got Pit Bulls for my street bike, but nada for the WR. What are some good lift stands that have the hole in them for drain plug access???

Also, I am seriously looking into some Radiator and frame protection for the bike.

• MN_Kevin

Posted February 25, 2004 - 02:40 AM

Also, I am seriously looking into some Radiator and frame protection for the bike

look seriously at Shop TT! One crash on those radiators is enough to give you 20/20 hindsight on radiator protection!

• ColdChillin

Posted February 25, 2004 - 03:04 AM

Ok somebody help a brother out. Works connection makes radiator braces, but not radiator guards??? If I put the WC radiator braces on will I run into problems when I install some other company's guard?

I looked real hard at the radiator last night. It is just hangin' out there waiting to be banged up!!!!! :)

• DirtDobber

Posted February 25, 2004 - 04:31 AM

I had the same problem removing my strainer. The rubber hose connection is very secure from the factory.
What I did was unbolt the aluminum line from the side of the engine. This allowed me to rotate (or twist)the whole bottom line while I pulled the hose free. This worked great and only involved a few more fasteners. Just make sure the o-rings are in their proper place before reattaching the line back to the engine.
My strainer had just a few shavings of metal, some aluminum and some steel. But they were barely large enough to get caught by the screen. The oil filter looked very clean.
DD :)

• ColdChillin

Posted February 25, 2004 - 09:05 AM

Good advice DD. It'll come in handy the next time I drop my oil. :)

• Vibeguy

Posted February 25, 2004 - 09:31 AM

Has anyone tried oil products from Royal Purple?

Royal Purple purchases their synthetic PAO base stock from BP then blends in their own additive package. Is it a better oil than any other quality brand synthetic? Worth the extra money? No

• YZUL8R

Posted February 26, 2004 - 08:05 AM

HOLESHOT426- or anyone else who might know..i was using the shell rotella 15/40..i just recently switched to the fully synthetic rotella..the 5/40...i would really like to continue using this, but my concern is that in the summer it may be to thin..here in NC we get some hot summers..Do you think i can use the 5/40 all year??? Or would you switch to a different oil for the summer?? I would really rather just stick with this oil, instead of worrying about switching oils for the summer. Thanks for any help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tigerowner_ut

Posted February 26, 2004 - 10:15 AM

I've used Rotella Syn 5-40 year round with no ill effects. I know of many users across many forums that have done the same.

• holeshot426

Posted February 26, 2004 - 10:34 AM

I plan on using it all year long. Here in the summer we have 105+ days and havent noticed any problems before. You should be fine, its synthetic.

• jonnytmoto

Posted February 26, 2004 - 12:30 PM

I have been using Motul oil in all my bikes. '98 YZ 400, '00YZ 426, '03 WR450. It is a semi syn. I have been brain washed over and over from dealer and Motul not to use a full synth. No clutch slippage with AMSOIL, or Shell???? I use the Motul 5100 series 15-40 weight. Who has been running AMSOIL, and what one to use, their 4stroke 0-40?? :)

• RichBaker

Posted February 26, 2004 - 12:43 PM

HOLESHOT426- or anyone else who might know..i was using the shell rotella 15/40..i just recently switched to the fully synthetic rotella..the 5/40...i would really like to continue using this, but my concern is that in the summer it may be to thin..here in NC we get some hot summers..Do you think i can use the 5/40 all year??? Or would you switch to a different oil for the summer?? I would really rather just stick with this oil, instead of worrying about switching oils for the summer. Thanks for any help.

I run Castrol ACT-EVO 10w40 year-round in my air-cooled FJ1200...even during the 110F+ summer days! No problems, it prob'ly lubricates better than 20w50 because it pumps easier....

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 26, 2004 - 01:26 PM

I've been running Amsoil 10W-40 Motorcycle oil for several years now. Seems to work well. No Failures in 3 bikes :). I buy it through the preferred buyer program and bunch up an order with my friends. That way it comes out to just over $5 a quart which isn't much more than they get for Mobil 1 Red Cap around here. Started out using 20W-50 but decided I probably didn't need the heavier viscosity.

• AkRider

Posted February 26, 2004 - 06:18 PM

ColdChillin I have the Works Connection braces and Flatland Racing Gaurds and they work fine. You need to do a little bit of work to get them to fit but it does work. Good luck :)

• ColdChillin

Posted February 27, 2004 - 02:43 AM

I actually ordered the Flatland Racing Guards, and was going to order the Works Connection Braces, but the guy I spoke to (@ Shop TT) said with the FLR Guards I didn't need the braces???? He said that the Flatland Guards were built so heavy that they double as braces too?

I know I read they were an 1/8" thick and pretty much enclose the entire radiator. Hopefully it'll work out alright. I ordered the FLR Skid Plate too.

• latehit

Posted February 27, 2004 - 05:38 AM

I run Amsoil as well. I don't think you can beat they're product, and they stand behind what they sell. If you go to their website you can get a discount buy becoming a member (or something like that) for a nominal fee and then pay something close to the dealer rate. I decided to be a dealer because I have fiends around here that use it so they buy it from me. That way I use the proceeds to get free oil for my cars and bikes. :)

• 5spoke

Posted March 06, 2004 - 05:28 PM

Checked my strainer for the first time today and found nothing. I don't think I'll pull it out again unless I expect there to be some problem in the frame tank. The strainer is so large I doubt there could be enough debris to block it. :)

• dirtstiff

Posted March 06, 2004 - 06:25 PM

I too use Castrol Actevo. Changed it today with 400 miles on the oil and it looked brand new. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.