2010 Yamaha YZ450F Compression?

2 replies to this topic
  • MotoRider25

Posted July 21, 2015 - 05:12 PM

Just wondering how much compression my yz450f should have. Its a 2010 with 30 original hours, never rebuilt or had the valves adjusted. Seems to have low power compared to other 450's I've ridden and I'm thinking it either needs a rebuild or valve adjustment. Still starts fine and doesn't make any noises but is leaking oil out of the crank vent hose. I'm going to do a compression test but don't know what kind of numbers I should be seeing. Any knowledge would help, thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 21, 2015 - 05:18 PM

Conventional compression tests are entirely useless on big single cylinder engines like these because, one, they have automatic decompression, two, they can't actually even be kicked over at full compression if the AD is disabled, and three, such tests are really only valuable on multicylinder engines as a means of finding one or more cylinders that are significantly lower than the others.  That's why Yamaha doesn't publish numbers.

What you need to have done is a "leak down test".  This feeds high pressure air into the cylinder and measures what percentage of the input pressure leaks away in numbers expressed as a percentage.  Some will always leak out, since the rings have gaps, but for a strictly recreational bike, it should hold over 90%.  A freshly broken in, race engine should test at over 97%.

• MotoRider25

Posted July 21, 2015 - 07:10 PM

Okay thanks a lot for the help

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.