14 wr450 for motocross

49 replies to this topic
  • Sp00na

Posted July 21, 2015 - 04:49 PM

Can someone give me tips for turning my 14 wr into a decent mxer, things I have already done:
Removed headlight, speedo ect
Suspension tuned ( revalved)
Two brothers pipe
Steg pegs
Pro taper bars
Rhk unbreakable levers
Remapped
Changed sprockets to 13/52 setup
Raised triple clamps 25mm ( to lower front)

What else could be done? Or am I just beating a dead horse? I feel I have spent to much $$$$ to get rid of it. I originally brought for trails but I love jumps n riding track now.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 21, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Pull the starter, battery, kickstand, add a YZ rear fender, and it will be fine.

...or sell it and buy a YZ, which will KICK IT'S ASS, but require much more concentration and effort to ride for more than 30 min at a time. 

• Monk

Posted July 21, 2015 - 05:42 PM

Beating a dead horse...

• Sp00na

Posted July 21, 2015 - 07:37 PM

I actually rode my mates 14 yz450 on the wkd, n I didn't find it that much better, it felt a little lighter but not massive, my suspension was better but prob cause his was stock. Also why the yz rear fender? Mine has been sripped of all lights n wiring ect.

• Sp00na

Posted July 21, 2015 - 07:41 PM

How much difference would it make pulling the starter n battery ect out? It is handy sometimes. As far as speed goes they were neck n neck, I was surprised, we had a massive flat straight that we raced down, we were side by side the whole way.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 21, 2015 - 07:49 PM

Yeah, I don't think you get it.

Ride what you have and have fun.

• Sp00na

Posted July 21, 2015 - 07:55 PM

I suppose your right, it is just about having fun, though I always wonder if a Mx bike would be that much better than my wr.

• Monk

Posted July 21, 2015 - 08:32 PM

I suppose your right, it is just about having fun, though I always wonder if a Mx bike would be that much better than my wr.

Yes, my 15 YZ450F would spank a WR all day on the track. It handles better, better suspended, lighter and considerably more powerful and built specifically for MX. It also doesn't have gaps in the transmission where I'm either idling in 3rd or tapped out in 2nd trying to clear a 80ft tabletop.

Maybe if they threw in an endurocross section so I could utilize that low 1st gear on the WR and maybe a few runways so I could really wind out that high 5th gear (all by looking down and seeing how fast I'm going on my fancy odometer) then I could see the WR working better. Or maybe if the race was at night with no track lights, I could see the WR headlight giving me a clear advantage over the YZF but hey, maybe just maybe it will happen. The good news is with the WR I always have a place to put my bike as that fancy kickstand is always available unlike the guy with the YZF who has the lean it against a post or building. Oh, did I mention I have a brake light on the WR, great for alerting riders behind me when lapping me not to run into the back of me.

Did I mention my YZF is 30+ pounds lighter, better suspended, more powerful and built specifically for MX.

• Sp00na

Posted July 21, 2015 - 10:01 PM

True, but as I said I have stripped everything off that I don't need, I think of it this way, the wr has yz suspension, yz frame, yz motor, so why couldn't it be made into a good mxer..?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 22, 2015 - 05:31 AM

True, but as I said I have stripped everything off that I don't need, I think of it this way, the wr has yz suspension, yz frame, yz motor, so why couldn't it be made into a good mxer..?

It has a 2005 YZ motor with a highly restricted head flow, less agressive ignition and FI mapping, and  it does have the same 'type' of suspension as the YZ (closed cartridge SSS KYB), only with thinner sanction tubes for more flex (smoother ride when not on hard throttle), and valving.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted July 22, 2015 - 06:58 AM

I think you should try a little more ground hugging weight

Keep the bike and :ride:

• toten

Posted July 22, 2015 - 01:12 PM

It has a 2005 YZ motor with a highly restricted head flow, less agressive ignition and FI mapping, and  it does have the same 'type' of suspension as the YZ (closed cartridge SSS KYB), only with thinner sanction tubes for more flex (smoother ride when not on hard throttle), and valving.

Is the WR head that much different than the old YZ head?

I thought the engine was very similar through 2009, though, as it was 2010 that the YZ450F head turned around.

• dslate

Posted July 24, 2015 - 09:50 AM

Well you know if you get a YZF then you still have to put money in the rebuilds and constant before ride mateninece. So ethier way you put lots of money into a MX bike.

• Monk

Posted July 24, 2015 - 10:13 AM

Well you know if you get a YZF then you still have to put money in the rebuilds and constant before ride mateninece. So ethier way you put lots of money into a MX bike.

Huh?

• dslate

Posted July 24, 2015 - 10:19 AM

Huh?

top end rebuilds and changeing oil every 2-3 rides.

• Monk

Posted July 24, 2015 - 11:29 AM

top end rebuilds and changeing oil every 2-3 rides.

Um no

• dslate

Posted July 24, 2015 - 11:43 AM

Um no

yes top end rebuilds every 80 hours. Which is practically every year.

• Monk

Posted July 24, 2015 - 11:45 AM

yes top end rebuilds every 80 hours. Which is practically every year.

You'll do that on a WR too. Makes no difference...

• dslate

Posted July 24, 2015 - 12:08 PM

You don't have to rebuild them as often. Maybe every 3-4 years IF that. There very reliable compared to the raceing ones. The valves in the yz, crf, kxf, and rmz hit so violently causeing the annual top end rebuilds and valve checks every 20-30 hours. WR has more reliability and the valves don't hit as violently. That's also why the WR's don't got the acceleration and horsepower behind them (also yes I understand the gear ratio is different and the WR is slightly restricted). There's a reason the yzf's, crf's, kxf's, and rmz's say ready to race or ready to ride. There already set up to be put through hell. They sacrifice reliablity for Max power. Thus requiring more mateninece. The WR's, DRZ's, KLX's, and crfx's are more reliable and are not race ready. I would expect you guys all to know that since you are insisting all the time that there NOT MX BIKES and that they are not built for the track. Hell you guys argue about it even when the other guys talk about weight reduction, different tunes, or anything that could lead the trail bikes to the tracks. Some of you guys that argue the trial bikes are completely different from the race bikes, yet now they require the same mateninece?

• Monk

Posted July 24, 2015 - 12:31 PM

You don't have to rebuild them as often. Maybe every 3-4 years IF that. There very reliable compared to the raceing ones. The valves in the yz, crf, kxf, and rmz hit so violently causeing the annual top end rebuilds and valve checks every 20-30 hours. WR has more reliability and the valves don't hit as violently. That's also why the WR's don't got the acceleration and horsepower behind them (also yes I understand the gear ratio is different and the WR is slightly restricted). There's a reason the yzf's, crf's, kxf's, and rmz's say ready to race or ready to ride. There already set up to be put through hell. They sacrifice reliablity for Max power. Thus requiring more mateninece. The WR's, DRZ's, KLX's, and crfx's are more reliable and are not race ready. I would expect you guys all to know that since you are insisting all the time that there NOT MX BIKES and that they are not built for the track. Hell you guys argue about it even when the other guys talk about weight reduction, different tunes, or anything that could lead the trail bikes to the tracks. Some of you guys that argue the trial bikes are completely different from the race bikes, yet now they require the same mateninece?

Dude, a WR on the track will be worked just as hard as a YZF. Rebuild intervals would be virtually the same. Trail riding a WR would be considerably easier on the bike vs the track but the same thing can be said with a YZF. Reliability wise is a moot point...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.