2015 wr 450 on/off throttle off idle

27 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted July 29, 2015 - 07:11 AM

You guys might be suffering from fuel injection issues off idle that YZ's and other bikes have had.  http://www.injection...bike_models.htm

As mentioned above YZ's have a much higher first gear. You shouldn't have to gear down a WR450 for the woods unless it has no bottom end off idle.

Ever notice how I don't tell you how to set up your bike for California conditions ?

We were having the gearing discussion yesterday on one of our ride breaks.  The biggest problem with woods riding on a big 4 stroke is that most of them are geared too high, especially for beginning riders that are used to 2 stroke bottom end characteristics and who haven't mastered clutch work in difficult conditions.

It costs $20 to try a 12 tooth sprocket.  Its the quickest and easiest mod you can make for woods riding.  NOTHING is worse than riding a big 4 stroke with a twitchy throttle that is stall prone in tight woods.  Nothing will leave you more tired and frustrated.

Here is a perfect example.  And this guy isn't a novice and that trail is nothing compared to what we ride.

I know he has no clutch skills.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, July 29, 2015 - 07:20 AM.

• stevethe

Posted July 29, 2015 - 07:18 AM

beginning riders

I think I get it.

• stevethe

Posted July 29, 2015 - 07:29 AM

By the way I think it would be a good idea for some people to try the 12 tooth sprocket. However I have never found my stock gearing too high in first gear on my carbed versions. I couldn't use lower gearing as I usually ride to the mountains from the high desert.

The only time I geared bikes down for the mountains is when they are MX bikes with a tall first gear like a YZ or CR500.

• stevethe

Posted July 29, 2015 - 07:35 AM

Ever notice how I don't tell you how to set up your bike for California conditions ?

We were having the gearing discussion yesterday on one of our ride breaks.  The biggest problem with woods riding on a big 4 stroke is that most of them are geared too high, especially for beginning riders that are used to 2 stroke bottom end characteristics and who haven't mastered clutch work in difficult conditions.

It costs $20 to try a 12 tooth sprocket.  Its the quickest and easiest mod you can make for woods riding.  NOTHING is worse than riding a big 4 stroke with a twitchy throttle that is stall prone in tight woods.  Nothing will leave you more tired and frustrated.

Here is a perfect example.  And this guy isn't a novice and that trail is nothing compared to what we ride.

I know he has no clutch skills.

I'm not sure what this is a perfect example of. The KTM 350 EXC is weak off idle that I have seen even with low gearing.

When a bike is weak off idle lower gearing only helps to some extent to get it in the meat of your power quicker.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted July 29, 2015 - 08:18 AM

I think I get it.

Condescending much ?  The YZ450F rider grew up riding a CR500.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 29, 2015 - 08:29 AM

Ridiculous misinformation

Turning up the idle past 1800 rpms cause a host of other control problems, like pushing in the corners, gas consumption, overheating, etc etc.\

FI settings properly done allow you to stay right at 1800 rpm.

The only way to get the 1800 to 4000 F/A ratio corrected is at the dealer, using the Dealers FI tuning tool.  Ask any YZ450 owner....

Gearing down increases jerkyness of throttle control (front end lifts easier, runs through rpms faster)

All you are doing is gearing for RPM changes withing a specific gear, not for throttle response reduction. 

A 12 tooth CS puts you at about 6mph at idle

A 13 is about 8mph at idle

A 14 is about 11 mph at idle. 

Being in a lower gear is easier for you to control the bike, because it's in and 'easier' part of the power band at higher rpms.

It has nothing to do with throttle response smoothing.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted July 29, 2015 - 09:38 AM

Whatever..

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 29, 2015 - 10:23 AM

Words have meaning

If you mean one thing, but say another, how can anyone comprehend?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.