2012 Oil level

8 replies to this topic
  • Rockyracer

Posted July 21, 2015 - 05:32 AM

The 2012 WR has a dip stick and a oil level screw.  Which is correct?  The screw is on the magneto side of the engine on the main case below and to the rear of the mag cover.  When I checked the dip stick it showed a little low from full, but when I removed the oil level screw oil wanted to pour out.  I checked the dip stick as par the manual which is correct? 

• drdanbozeman

Posted July 21, 2015 - 06:44 AM

I have a 2012 as well, and I would consider the dip stick to be the primary method of checking oil level. I always warm the motor and then put it on a work stand to check the oil with the bike on the level. The oil level screw is a secondary check to insure motor lubrication is occurring.

• dylanWr

Posted July 21, 2015 - 08:03 AM

The 2012 WR has a dip stick and a oil level screw. Which is correct? The screw is on the magneto side of the engine on the main case below and to the rear of the mag cover. When I checked the dip stick it showed a little low from full, but when I removed the oil level screw oil wanted to pour out. I checked the dip stick as par the manual which is correct?

• dylanWr

Posted July 21, 2015 - 08:05 AM

The 2012 WR has a dip stick and a oil level screw. Which is correct? The screw is on the magneto side of the engine on the main case below and to the rear of the mag cover. When I checked the dip stick it showed a little low from full, but when I removed the oil level screw oil wanted to pour out. I checked the dip stick as par the manual which is correct?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dylanWr

Posted July 21, 2015 - 08:10 AM

I as well own a 2012 450 . Now just think about it for a min ... What makes more sense- a dip stick that sits high , or a drain bolt sitting at the bottom of the engine... Gravity! Go with your dip stick - on a level surface, after you have had the motor running for a min or to . Kill the bike wait another min or to and check the dipstick . And jus to say - I'd hope oil would be poring out of the case bolt!

• chu

Posted July 21, 2015 - 08:26 AM

I pour a liter in if I change the filter, a quart if I don't.  I never check the oil.  I hate trying to screw in that plastic dipstick.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 21, 2015 - 03:21 PM

Drain it, add the right amount per the manual; no filter/filter/rebuild quantities are different.

Check a hot motor 1min after running for dipstick level.

The dipstick only shows 10% of the oil level, so when it is at the bottom, you have los/burned just under 10% of your oil.

You should be changing your oil faster than the level drops, IMHO.

• tomerb

Posted July 21, 2015 - 04:23 PM

I pour a liter in if I change the filter, a quart if I don't.  I never check the oil.  I hate trying to screw in that plastic dipstick.

:thumbsup:................... :thumbsup:  

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 23, 2015 - 09:13 AM

Drain it, add the right amount per the manual; no filter/filter/rebuild quantities are different.

Check a hot motor 1min after running for dipstick level.

The dipstick only shows 10% of the oil level, so when it is at the bottom, you have los/burned just under 10% of your oil.

You should be changing your oil faster than the level drops, IMHO.

Agree, I change mine  ridiculously often, but still do check.  Keep in mind that these bikes do not have separate engine oil/tranny oil (not at all a bad thing in my book) so keep it clean.  I add 35-36 ounces of oil after a filter change and it pretty much nails it every time on the upper end of the dip stick level.  I can understand why some don't like checking the dip stick when the bike is hot though, I have burned my knuckles plenty of times......I'm not much of a glove guy.  I don't get the check bolt, have never used it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.