Yamaha stem lengths

9 replies to this topic
  • Kurlon

Posted July 20, 2015 - 10:00 AM

I'm working on reviving a 1992 WR250 (yup, it's a smoker, but wait!) as a supermoto.  Part of the rebuild is swapping on a 2009 YZ450 front end.  The conversion appears to be pretty straight forward, stem bearings are compatible, no problems, right?  To make things more interesting I'm having a set of custom offset clamps made up for this endeavor.

The one detail I haven't sorted yet is the steering stem.  My 92 stem setup isn't compatible with modern YZ clamp sets, I also don't have a modern YZ on hand to compare against.  Doing some searching I see there are three common lengths Yamaha used but no actual numbers to go with 'short', 'medium' or 'long'.

Looking at Applied Racing's online catalog they have the following notes:

'Short' YZ stems fit:

98-14 YZ125

98-12 YZ250F

98-09 WR250F

'Medium' YZ stems fit:

08-15 YZF450

'Long' YZ stems fit:

98-14 YZ250

98-07 YZF4XX

98-10 WR450F

I also found some notes that Yamaha changed the OD of the portion of the stem that presses into the lower clamp sometime around 04 / 05, so that's good to know.

So, what I need I guess is distances between the bearings for the three stem lengths so I can compare to my frame and determine which to get?  Anyone got numbers to share?

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2015 - 10:52 AM

I can give you the length of the long stem later today.  Meanwhile, I can tell you that the mid length stem will be 5mm shorter, and the short stem about 10-12mm shorter.

• Kurlon

Posted July 20, 2015 - 10:55 AM

Much appreciated, and that almost makes it sound like I could just plan on using long stems with spacers if needed... assuming my machine isn't a freak that needs an even LONGER stem than modern machines.

• Kurlon

Posted July 22, 2015 - 10:07 AM

Visited the local dealership and got some ballpark measurements with a tape measure.  (Yeah, not accurate, I know, but it's what I had.)  They have a 2015 WR250 and YZ450 on the showroom floor, which based on the fitment data from Applied Racing should be a medium and long stem, respectively.  7.5" between the bearing faces roughly on the WR, touch longer on the YZ.  On my antique I'm at about 7.5" as well so I suspect the medium will do the trick?

• Kurlon

Posted July 28, 2015 - 12:15 PM

Any chance you can still get that measurement greyracer?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2015 - 01:50 PM

Only in a rough kind of way.  I seem to have come up missing the loose one I had.  I'll see how accurately I can measure the one on my bike.

• Kurlon

Posted July 28, 2015 - 02:48 PM

I just lucked out, I've got drawings with dimensions for YZ stems, so now I can compare to my setup and select the right one.  Of course, it means I have to take my front end off again... d-oh! :D

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2015 - 03:06 PM

Good find.  Source?

• Kurlon

Posted July 29, 2015 - 10:37 AM

Right from Applied Racing themselves.

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2015 - 12:19 PM

Yup, good people.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.