TT Newbie

13 posts

Posted July 21, 2015 - 07:50 PM

I made that thread after sorry

• zorroz

TT Bronze Member

289 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 04:03 AM

I went down the path of stripping everything of a '12 WR450, starter motor and all. It was a little lighter, but still a top heavy pig in the tight single trails. I spoke to at length with an aussie pro enduro racer currently in the top 3 who said he raced one back in '12 and hated the thing. They couldn't get it to work under race conditions. No one races them for a reason. But they are a great trail bike you can't kill them, they do a great job. 

• Sp00na

TT Newbie

13 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 04:25 AM

Good to know, helps with my decision, probably go with the rm, haven't heard any bad things about me in the forums yet.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,872 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 08:37 AM

I went down the path of stripping everything of a '12 WR450, starter motor and all. It was a little lighter, but still a top heavy pig in the tight single trails. I spoke to at length with an aussie pro enduro racer currently in the top 3 who said he raced one back in '12 and hated the thing. They couldn't get it to work under race conditions. No one races them for a reason. But they are a great trail bike you can't kill them, they do a great job. 

I rode with a KTM 300 and a 2014 YZ450F yesterday.  I don't think my WR was giving up anything to either of them.    I rode the YZ.  I'll start a thread about it, but there wasn't a whole lot of difference between it and my WR.  They felt pretty similar.

We gave the KTM rider a good run for his money.  He was tuning up for a race on Saturday.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, July 22, 2015 - 08:40 AM.

• cadesdad

TT Bronze Member

115 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 08:53 AM

I hope you're not talking about one of the former Ballard guys (M.P maybe?). I have been extremely interested in the 12+WR because of the Ballard and CDR guys. Their videos on youtube are awesome. I am still wanting to build a WR450 that is simmilar to Stefan Merrimans and Chris Hollis race bikes. I don't need a feather weight bike. I raced and rode a stripped XR600 with a CR front end and highly modified rear shock through the 90's. I loved that bike and I was suprisingly effective, to the shock of my buddies and fellow competitors.

• cadesdad

TT Bronze Member

115 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 09:01 AM

I have a 12 YZ250f set up for off road and is perfect for most of the riding I do. I feel like a 12+WR450 modified to my liking will be a perfect (for me) second bike.

• jay bird1138

TT Gold Member

1,297 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 24, 2015 - 09:08 AM

Kind of off topic to the current discussion, but would it be ok to weigh the bike on the stand? I understand you will need to -the stand weight but I don't have 2 scales.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,872 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 11:26 AM

I have a 12 YZ250f set up for off road and is perfect for most of the riding I do. I feel like a 12+WR450 modified to my liking will be a perfect (for me) second bike.

My friend has a 2010 YZ250F with a big bore kit, full woods setup, etc.  Its the bike to beat in our group.  The KTM 350s are good too.

Bikes in our group include a Sherco 300 4t, KTM 300s, KTM 250s, KTM 200s, YZ250s, a CR250, Gasgas 300s, YZ450Fs, WR450Fs, YZ250FX and a Husky TE250 soon to become a 300.

I haven't ridden against his YZ250F in a while, since I did my rear suspension.  It will be interesting to see how my bike compares to his when I ride with him on the weekend.

• toten

TT Silver Member

583 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 12:44 PM

Kind of off topic to the current discussion, but would it be ok to weigh the bike on the stand? I understand you will need to -the stand weight but I don't have 2 scales.

I can't imagine that would be a problem. The other option is to get a 2x4 (or something else the same height as the scale) and measure the two ends separately. 

• MikeID

TT Bronze Member

160 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 09:36 PM

I hope you're not talking about one of the former Ballard guys (M.P maybe?). I have been extremely interested in the 12+WR because of the Ballard and CDR guys. Their videos on youtube are awesome. I am still wanting to build a WR450 that is simmilar to Stefan Merrimans and Chris Hollis race bikes. I don't need a feather weight bike. I raced and rode a stripped XR600 with a CR front end and highly modified rear shock through the 90's. I loved that bike and I was suprisingly effective, to the shock of my buddies and fellow competitors.

Those videos are awesome and have been linked-to at least a few times on TT. I've ridden big-bore four-strokes with no problem on fast, flowing open trails, and while I was very comfortable cornering them, on tight, side-of-mountain trails I'd get the willies. So, I've been riding 250 2T/4Ts, but I'd still like to try one of the current gen WR450Fs.

• xcbuckeyeguy

TT Bronze Member

156 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 12:07 PM

Good to know, helps with my decision, probably go with the rm, haven't heard any bad things about me in the forums yet.

Search " RMZ tubes snapped" here on Thumpertalk. It might change your mind!

• still2smokin
3,233 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 03, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Just weighed my 05 with brush guards , Rad guards , cooling fan ,

steering damper , Vapor and 3.3g tank full .

141 lbs front and 150 rear = 291lbs

But I still love her even though she has gained a few pounds since we met   :wub: .

• KennyMc, stevethe and RockerYZWR like this
  • Like This

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,245 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 04, 2015 - 04:46 AM

Just weighed my 05 with brush guards , Rad guards , cooling fan ,
steering damper , Vapor and 3.3g tank full .

141 lbs front and 150 rear = 291lbs

But I still love her even though she has gained a few pounds since we met   :wub: .

Nice someone with a honest weight.

But don't feel bad most gain a few pounds when you've been together for a few years or get married to them.

• KennyMc

Get Help Now

15,729 posts

Posted August 04, 2015 - 05:15 AM

Nice someone with a honest weight.

But don't feel bad most gain a few pounds when you've been together for a few years or get married to them.

Yeah, that's where mine was as well. Add UHD tubes to the mix as well :shocked:

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,245 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 04, 2015 - 05:29 AM

Yeah, that's where mine was as well. Add UHD tubes to the mix as well :shocked:

Gadzooks and I thought we were talking about women with large fronts and big back sides.

• kcotte59

TT Newbie

9 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 28, 2016 - 09:41 AM

I weighed my bike on a small digital freight scale.  Freshly washed, not totally dry, 95% clean.  Didn't drop the skid plate.  1/2 tank of fuel from my last ride.  My Jerry can was empty.

Front wheel: 119.5 pounds

Rear wheel: 123.8 pounds

Total 143.3 pounds.  Call it 250 pounds full of fuel.  

My bike is equipped with a 130 IRC M5B in the back and a IRC Vulan Enduro 35E in the front.  As well as heavier springs, front and rear.

This weight almost exactly matches the weight calculations I've been doing all along in this thread.

http://www.thumperta...pound-trim-off/

119.5 + 123.8 does not total to 143.3 lb. Do bench racers exaggerate, or maybe they just make too many typos.

My 2005 WR450 weighs about 300 lb wet. If it weighed about 220 lb it would be bitchin' instead of being the pig that it is.

What ever happened to 200 lb dirt bikes? Are long travel suspension, 4-stroke engines, and water cooling the causes?

I am going to have to buy a YZ80 because it is the only bike that weighs less than 200 lb now days.

I could remove the motor on my WR & it still would be over 200 lbs. Removing 25 lbs. is a good start but even 30 lbs. is still not enough weight reduction to satisfy me. I want a maximum weight of 220 lbs, ready to ride. A YZ250 maybe is close.

Edited by kcotte59, November 28, 2016 - 09:55 AM.

• kcotte59

TT Newbie

9 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 28, 2016 - 10:01 AM

Why is that

Why's that

It is common knowledge that Suzuki products are in general not up to the standards of other motorcycles.

Brittle bolts, hubs, cases, weak stators, stiff transmissions, very weak clutch and transmisson, etc etc etc.

FYI, Suzuki has the current AMA 450cc supercross and motocross titles.  So how bad can they be? I know on older RMZ's the subframe will bend if the bike falls over. Otherwise Suzukis are just a little down on power compared to the Yammies.

• Krannie McKranface
36,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 28, 2016 - 04:51 PM

FYI, Suzuki has the current AMA 450cc supercross and motocross titles.  So how bad can they be? I know on older RMZ's the subframe will bend if the bike falls over. Otherwise Suzukis are just a little down on power compared to the Yammies.

Really?

You do know that they are only required to use the same core frame as production (but hand welded and hand picked parts), and the same engine center cases (which are made in the production line, but are again hand made and picked) to be homolgation legal?  It is not a 'Suzuki' that you and I can buy....

Virtually every other part is custom......especially all the fasteners, which are Titanium...notl the OEM peanut brittle parts....

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 29, 2016 - 11:11 AM

You don't need two scales.  Weigh one end at a time and add the results for the total.  If you're a stickler for accuracy, place the end not being weighed on a brick or whatever that's the same height as the scale is so the bike is dead level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.