Oil Gasket question

6 replies to this topic
  • azorr

Posted July 16, 2015 - 07:14 AM

Quick question, thanks in advance for any help. I am changing the oil for the first time on my newly acquired 02 WR426f. The parts schematic shows a gasket on the crank case drain plug that should be replaced. My plug has a silver washer on it that doesn't come off. Is this the gasket that has been reused so many times its formed on to the plug, or is that part of the plug and there should be a gasket between this and the crank case?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1437059621115.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 16, 2015 - 07:16 AM

It should be an o-ring

• azorr

Posted July 16, 2015 - 07:26 AM

Ah, so there should be a rubber o ring between the silver washer and the crank case? I assumed it had a copper gasket/crush washer like on my truck and on the frame plug.

It should be an o-ring

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 16, 2015 - 07:34 AM

I've never seen a metal crush washer on a plastic filler plug from any  brand.

• azorr

Posted July 16, 2015 - 07:48 AM

I've never seen a metal crush washer on a plastic filler plug from any  brand.

Thank you for your quick responses and for your willingness to help. I am afraid we may be discussing different parts, I apologize that my original question wasn't clear enough. This is the metal drain plug on the bottom of the crank case that is removed through a hole in the skid plate. The gasket in question is number 12 on the attached diagram.

Attached Thumbnails

• Crank Case.gif

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 16, 2015 - 08:28 AM

Oh sorry
Yes, a COPPER usually crushwasher

• azorr

Posted July 16, 2015 - 08:37 AM

Oh sorry
Yes, a COPPER usually crushwasher

Perfect, thanks!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.