Yz400f

1 reply to this topic
  • rcb187

Posted July 16, 2015 - 06:20 AM

Hi there question regarding my 99. I see it stores the oil in the frame.
I am having a problem with my dip stick, I'll get ready to take her out and check the oil, dip stick reads nothing, I try on the side , straight up off the stand, on the stand nothing. It reads no oil, so I put oil, until I read on stick. Start her up and take her out, when I stop there is oil dripping out, of a black tube on the bottom, obviously an overflow of sorts. Can anyone explain why the dip stick is not reading?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2015 - 08:27 AM

I'm going to guess that you, 1) checked the oil before you ran the engine and after it had sat for longer than 6 hours, and that, 2) you are unfamiliar with dry sump oiling systems.  This is a common occurrence with many new owners. 

The Pre-'14 YZF is a dry sump engine.  In summary, that means it stores its oil supply outside of the crankcase volume (either in an external tank, like the one built into your frame, or an internal storage space like the '06-'13 models).  That oil is pumped under pressure to the crank, top end, and transmission, then sucked up by a second, faster oil pump and sent back to the tank.  In the steel frame models, this puts the oil storage at a level higher than the engine, and while the engine is turned off, gravity is still "running".  There is a low pressure check valve, the purpose of which is to prevent oil from flowing down out of the tank and filling the crankcase while the engine is shut down for short periods, but over time, oil simply runs out past the oil pump by leaking past the pump drive shaft, etc., and that, of course, lowers the oil level in the tank once the bike has been left alone for a while. 

Always check the oil level within 10 minutes of shutting down the engine, or you will probably get an inaccurate read on the stick. 

As to the oil you see dripping, that hose is the crankcase breather.  It needs to be there because the bottom of the piston moves just as much air back and forth as the top does, and the air pressure has to be allowed to escape.  There is also some combustion gas that will leak past the rings, even in a fresh engine, and much more so with an older one.  If not vented to the atmosphere, this would build pressure and blow out seals, so, the breather tube is a must.   In normal operation, and more so with a older engine, there will be some oil vapor that will be discharged into the breather tube, eventually accumulating to the point that it will drip on the ground after shut off, or even while running.  To some extent, this is normal. 

But, if you check your oil incorrectly, then add to it, you will likely overfill it, and if you overfill it more than about 400cc, there won't be room for all of it in the tank when the return pump sends it there, and the excess will be force back to the crankcase through the pressure balancing vent the runs between the frame head and the top of the engine.  That will add a lot of extra oil flying around inside the engine, and a lot of that will be exhausted through the vent. 

This post has been promoted to a wiki

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.