2014 wr450 speedo removal

3 replies to this topic
  • NewfieThumper

Posted July 15, 2015 - 01:52 PM

I bought a new set of warp 9 rims and trail tech voyager and I was wondering if the stock speedometer can be removed and the bike still function or will I encounter any issues.

• DRZ04

Posted July 15, 2015 - 05:46 PM

It can be removed & several companies sell a spacer to take up the room between the wheel bearing & the fork axle hole.left by the removed part.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted July 15, 2015 - 06:09 PM

It will run fine.  Unplug it and prove it to yourself before you remove it.

If you remove the power switch with the speedo, you need to short together the right terminals so that the bike will run.  If you retain the battery, you need to put a switch in its place.  

FYI, the low fuel indicator light is part of the power switch.  You can replace the indicator light with a resistor and a LED. (Or an LED with a built in resistor.

• DRZ04

Posted July 16, 2015 - 09:05 PM

It will run fine.  Unplug it and prove it to yourself before you remove it.

If you remove the power switch with the speedo, you need to short together the right terminals so that the bike will run.  If you retain the battery, you need to put a switch in its place.  

FYI, the low fuel indicator light is part of the power switch.  You can replace the indicator light with a resistor and a LED. (Or an LED with a built in resistor.

I unplugged my speedo wire from the plug on the instrument cluster to run 17" on the front & I did not do anything else to it & it ran just fine. I did not notice any problems.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.