Yz 450f fair price?

4 replies to this topic
  • juanpa_yamaharider

Posted July 15, 2015 - 10:29 AM

Hey guys so I've recently been looking to upgrade and not really sure which bike would be my best fit. I'm not too knowledgeable on the mechanics but was looking as a 2004 yz 450f for $1400. Sounds like a fair price and starts first kick. Is there anything I should be looking at in specific for this bike and is the price fair or too much?
Also, what could be other options for upgrading seeing as my pockets aren't deep and I'm not trying to spend a ton at the shop 2 weeks after buying.

• Crf250boss

Posted July 15, 2015 - 10:58 AM

Don't hate on me for saying this but....get a two stroke IF you are wallet conscious,I had a cr125 and everyone was like don't get a four stroke,well I did and trust me it's a money pit,but to each to his own

Just my 0.2 anyway

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • juanpa_yamaharider

Posted July 15, 2015 - 11:08 AM

I hear you I own a 2 stroke currently and it still seems like a money pit. At the same time tho I'm not sure if this could be an easy steal and possibly an investment as the bike could easily be sold at same price in another 2 years. Or am I wrong for thinking this way?

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2015 - 03:58 PM

Depends on the condition.  The Gen1 ('03-'05) YZ450f is no more reliable than a sundial or the average manhole cover, but they are undeniably a class leader in that regard.  Nevertheless, it's older, and you don't really know where it's been.  When I sold mine, I was the second owner, and it had over 300 hours on it with never a single bit of trouble, never even needed a valve adjustment. 

They are kind of a handful; very, very aggressive power right off the bottom, and the fork isn't the best thing Yamaha ever did.  It's also a 4 speed, which is actually not as limiting as it sounds, but the 5 speed is really more versatile. 

The worst that could happen? The valves may have closed to zero and been shimmed back to clearance, which could set you up to at least need a valve job right away, or maybe drop one on the run and do $2300 worth of engine damage.

• Will.A.R.

Posted July 16, 2015 - 06:42 AM

I wouldn't trade my 09 for anything even though it has cost me a bundle. That being said as usual Gray hit the nail on the head. It could run great for 5 min or 5 years and cost a little or a lot. A bike that old has a lot of typically unknown history. Personally if u buy it, I'd at minimum plan to put a timing chain in it. I do it for just a little peace of mind when I buy one regardless of what the previous owner tells me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.