Rear Suspension problems!

4 replies to this topic
  • JeffYZ

Posted February 21, 2002 - 05:11 AM

My rear suspension is completey off...please help.

It has an a serious amount of free sag. After the free sag it seems to hit a hard spot. It also does not always spring back up all the way...seems to stick. I turned my compression and rebound adjusters all the way in and it got real stiff so I assume the shock is working. How can I pin point the problem?

• Scott_F

Posted February 21, 2002 - 05:53 AM

Have you ever taken your rear suspension completely off and lubed everything?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BK14MX

Posted February 21, 2002 - 05:54 AM

A starting point is to return all the clickers to stock, pull the shock out and check your linkage. Grease everything with good waterproof grease. Look in your manual on the shock spring lenght, you may need to add more preload. But since you said it was sticking, I'd point at the linkage. Hope that helps. I sevice my linkage every couple months, its not fun, but it will definatley help handling problems.

• JeffYZ

Posted February 21, 2002 - 06:04 AM

I have only greased the linkage once in a year so I assume that could be the problem. I am going to try evrything you mentioned and see what happens. Thanks for your help!

• bassr_#186

Posted February 21, 2002 - 09:26 AM

JeffYZ: If you have too much free sag, the problem may be with your spring rate. Do you have the correct spring for your weight. I think too much free sag means the spring rate is too stiff. (Suspension gurus, is this correct?)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.