yz450f burning oil

6 replies to this topic
  • chasehoskins91

Posted July 13, 2015 - 08:39 AM

Hey guys i've got a 2007 yz450f that i bought from a guy and didn't realize how much oil it was burning. I had the top end rebuilt thinking it would solve the problem and it hasn't. I'm thinking that my piston clearances are off and i'm going to tear it down again tonight and check them... do you guys know of anything else it could possibly be? just want to cover all my bases and check everything before i put it back together. It burned about a quarter of a liter in an hour of riding so quite a bit. Any input is greatly appreciated. 

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2015 - 09:24 AM

There are only two paths for oil to enter the combustion chamber by: The piston rings and the valve guide seals. 

• torkd14

Posted January 07, 2016 - 10:42 AM

There are only two paths for oil to enter the combustion chamber by: The piston rings and the valve guide seals.

Gray can I replace the valve seals with the engine still together other then pulling off the valve cover? Or do I have to pull apart the top end and do it on my work bench? I don't have a new gasket at this time so if I could do it without the valves falling in the cylinder that would be nice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2016 - 12:54 PM

It's "possible" but it's a question as to whether or not it's easier.  I know one guy who did it once and said he probably wouldn't again.

You would need to find or build an adapter to connect compressed air into your spark plug hole.

• Remove the cams, support the cam chain and rotate the engine to bottom dead center
  • Apply ~60-70 psi of air from a compressor or other continuous supply to the plug hole
  • Remove the valve springs
  • Replace the seals and reassemble

The air pressure will hold the valves up and closed.

• SAKs YAMAHA

Posted January 07, 2016 - 05:22 PM

It's "possible" but it's a question as to whether or not it's easier.  I know one guy who did it once and said he probably wouldn't again.

You would need to find or build an adapter to connect compressed air into your spark plug hole.

• Remove the cams, support the cam chain and rotate the engine to bottom dead center
  • Apply ~60-70 psi of air from a compressor or other continuous supply to the plug hole
  • Remove the valve springs
  • Replace the seals and reassemble

The air pressure will hold the valves up and closed.

Or you can do what an old mechanic showed me. Take the spark plug out, put some nylon cord in the chamber through the hole, and roll the kick start until the cord is pushed up against the valves. It work very well and the holds the valves better that air so you don't have to worry about losing the seal, if you even have enough of a seal.

All that being said, I never had a good reason not to just pull the head off and do it right. It doesn't take too long and you may even find something else that needs fixing.

• stevethe

Posted January 07, 2016 - 05:42 PM

Holding up the valves is one thing and it can be done. The harder issue would be to compress the valve springs and remove the retainers then reach down there and pull the seals. Let alone put the seals back in.

It should be much less frustrating to pull off the head and do it.

• torkd14

Posted January 09, 2016 - 03:15 PM

Haha alright thanks guys I'll wait for a gasket and pull the head off again. Glad I asked.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.