2004 Raptor 660

Hey yall. I just traded my 89 rm125 I bought for 250 bucks . For a 2004 raptor 660. The bike is in very good shape. But when running I can hear a kinda knocking sound I think. The motor runs like a beast though Hella power. Is that normal I know some atv dirtbikes always kinda sound like there knocking. Also on the right side of the jug there was a small request half assed striped into the hole. Did anything other then a bolt go in that hole. I tried to find a exploded diagram of the engine but partzilla.com did not have raptor 660. Unless it was under some name I'm not familiar with. Thanks for the help. Hopefully it's nothing major.

Never had a Raptor, but if you hear a knocking from almost any 4-stroke engine, chances are it's the valves are out of sync a bit. There's probably bunches of tutorials on the Internet on how to adjust your valves, especially for a post-2000s Raptor. As for the hole, I've never had a Raptor.

• 1 month later...

How badly is it knocking ? Is it more of a rattle or clatter up top ? I had 2 of the 660's and 1- 700 none had any knocking or rattle. You could hear the valves a little bit but nothing more. The 660's that have been hammered hard will take out the big rod bearing , that will make a low, deep sounding knock. Valves that's needing adjusting will have a faster rattle.  Also a noise on the left side (stator) can be a loose flywheel, another issue that has happened to many, especially if the PO had done some motor work and not torqued down proper.

Raptors have a tendency to be owned by those that beat the shit out of them with little proper maintenance . They need high quality oils and the rods/crank won't take sustained high rpm running.

Edited by jjktmrider

How badly is it knocking ? Is it more of a rattle or clatter up top ? I had 2 of the 660's and 1- 700 none had any knocking or rattle. You could hear the valves a little bit but nothing more. The 660's that have been hammered hard will take out the big rod bearing , that will make a low, deep sounding knock. Valves that's needing adjusting will have a faster rattle. Also a noise on the left side (stator) can be a loose flywheel, another issue that has happened to many, especially if the PO had done some motor work and not torqued down proper.

Raptors have a tendency to be owned by those that beat the shit out of them with little proper maintenance . They need high quality oils and the rods/crank won't take sustained high rpm running.

so true 3 of my friends have raptors 2 660's and a 700. They beat the shit out of them especially the 660 and it still goes.
  • Like 1