2001 wr426 need help starting!

4 replies to this topic
  • Make_it_fit

Posted July 11, 2015 - 10:14 AM

I know this has been discussed here before but everyone has said different ways to start the bike with different combinations of choke hot start and giving the bike throttle before start...

I've tried every combination trying to start my bike. I picked it up a few days ago and I'm seriously debating on selling it again because I cannot get the hang of it. The bike has a fully rebuilt engine top to bottom and has loads of compression, on top of that there is no decompression assembly on the bike... The guy I bought it off of said noone uses the decompression it's all just a technique you have to learn.

I've owned the bike for 3 days now and only started it twice once I started it I left the choke out for about a minute for it to start up then shut off the choke gave it some gas it bogged out and died I know it probably wasn't warmed up enough but after that happened I can't get it to start anymore I tried the hot start,choke no choke no hot start both together nothing. Does anyone have any tips on what I should do ?

Bike also has all free mods done like grey wire air box mod and aftermarket yoshimura exhaust and is jetted to match mods .

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 11, 2015 - 10:59 AM

Once you get it started you have to verify the pilot circuit tuning, first and formost, then maintain the choke plunger and hot start (if app).

There are dozens of posts on this (jetting thread sticky).

Changing the plug gap to .9mm (smaller) helps too.

Now you will have consistent results when starting.

If you cannot get it to start in 10 kicks, you have done something wrong, and you have to CLEAR THE CYLINDER before going any farther

10+ kicks with the throttle wide open, and the kill button on.

Don't use choke unless it's cold out.

Don't use any throttle when kicking.

Typically, you turn on the gas, kick it through slowly a few times, find TDC, re-rachet the kicker to roll past TDC ever so slightly, then re-rachet the kicker again, and kick HARD.

Your bike might need one or two or three throttle twists to start (apump squirts) before it will start. Only you can determine this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Make_it_fit

Posted July 11, 2015 - 11:12 AM

Once you get it started you have to verify the pilot circuit tuning, first and formost, then maintain the choke plunger and hot start (if app).
There are dozens of posts on this (jetting thread sticky).
Changing the plug gap to .9mm (smaller) helps too.
Now you will have consistent results when starting.

If you cannot get it to start in 10 kicks, you have done something wrong, and you have to CLEAR THE CYLINDER before going any farther
10+ kicks with the throttle wide open, and the kill button on.

Don't use choke unless it's cold out.
Don't use any throttle when kicking.

Typically, you turn on the gas, kick it through slowly a few times, find TDC, re-rachet the kicker to roll past TDC ever so slightly, then re-rachet the kicker again, and kick HARD.

Your bike might need one or two or three throttle twists to start (apump squirts) before it will start. Only you can determine this.

I can get it started every now and again I find it hard to get tdc where it has no decompression so I can't really slowly move the kick starter to get the piston where I want it I end up using to much force and piston goes to far. Idk how cold it has to be to use choke ? It is 12 degrees Celsius here today so I used choke and it started right up but I pushed it in after about a minute idling and I gave it some gas and it bogged out and died after that I couldn't get it started I didn't know if I should have still choked it or used the hot start or what I'm at a loss with it...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 11, 2015 - 12:28 PM

At 12c you should let it run with the choke until the left radiator starts to get very warm on top

You need to practice starting, and learn the idiosyncracies of your motor.

• Make_it_fit

Posted July 11, 2015 - 07:31 PM

At 12c you should let it run with the choke until the left radiator starts to get very warm on top

You need to practice starting, and learn the idiosyncracies of your motor.

Alright I'll give it a try tmr it is suppose to be a 19 tmr see how it goes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.