Burned up clutch? Maybe?

5 replies to this topic
  • Ajex450

Posted July 08, 2015 - 12:40 PM

Last night I was out riding some trails with some pretty steep rocky terrain so I was riding my clutch a lot. About half way up a pretty steep hill I pulled in the clutch lever, when I released it the bike didn't move, it was like the clutch was stuck disengaged. The lever pull had a little bit of play in it prior to this, but now is super stiff. And I could smell something burning. its like the clutch is permanently disengaged and wont fully engage to allow the bike to have any sort of usable power. I tried letting it cool down for a while and even loosened the clutch cable trying to get some power, (I was stuck at the bottom of a canyon and it was getting dark so I was in a bit of a panic) After a while I was finally able to get the clutch to work just enough to make it up to the main road and then coast back down to my truck. Im really not sure whats wrong with it, My intuition says that my clutch is burned up, but any advise would be appreciated.

The bike is a 2004 YZ450F 

I had changed the oil and coolant prior to this ride. both fluid levels are still full. 

thanks 

Edited by Ajex450, July 08, 2015 - 03:47 PM.

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted July 08, 2015 - 12:44 PM

The bike has power when the clutch is ENGAGED.  A fried clutch slips, that is it isn't engaging.

EDIT:  warped or broken disk?

Edited by cjjeepercreeper, July 08, 2015 - 12:46 PM.

• wielywilly-g

Posted July 08, 2015 - 01:31 PM

Make sure your cable is not frayed and binding in the housing. If cable is free, make sure there is free play in the lower rod going into the crankcase.

Pull the clutch cover and check the throwout rod freeplay, pull pressure plate spring bolts and inspect springs, plates and basket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ajex450

Posted July 11, 2015 - 03:04 PM

There is no free play anywhere right now, Im about to rip into it and see whats going on. 

• wielywilly-g

Posted July 12, 2015 - 04:28 AM

No freeplay in the cable, means it is the cable, no need to rip into anything.

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2015 - 07:07 AM

There has to be free travel or it's like holding the lever half way in and expecting it not to slip.

Probably too late to save the clutch plates, though.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.