help please.

2 replies to this topic
  • fastcat71

Posted July 07, 2015 - 07:37 PM

Hello everyone haven't posted much on here but just picked up a 07 yz450f for cheap. Ran awesome when I test rode it got it home started up the next day. Now it will not fire. Have spark have gas. Valve clearance is in spec timing looks like the exhaust cam is a tooth off but it ran literally yesterday like a charm. Only thing that happened was added gas and it kicked back starting it but still ran decent. I'm going to check the flywheel key tomorrow after I borrow a puller. Any other insight on what could be wrong would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • billygildark5007

Posted July 08, 2015 - 04:27 PM

Your timing chain may have skipped if it looks like it's a tooth off. When you have the flywheel off remove the chain and look for kinked links or bound links.

• fastcat71

Posted July 08, 2015 - 06:08 PM

Good news re timed the cams and checked for a sheared key. Key wasn't sheared but when I put a new key in it and put flywheel back on my timing marks were perfect. So not sure if previous owner error or what. But got her all buttoned back up and tuned on the carb now she's running like a champ. Small hesitation down low but all is good and I can stop thinking I bought somebody else's problem

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.