2015 YZ450f - weak welds?

5 replies to this topic
  • deathmachine426

Posted July 06, 2015 - 02:03 PM

This is the second time I've had a welded part break off.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their '15 450f or 250f?

The first time, the tabs broke off the frame where the sub frame mounts.  It was a bad crash, but it really should not have broken there.

This time, my chain guide mounting bracket snapped off my swingarm right at the welds during a trail ride.  It sucked all the way around and thankfully during that event it peeled my chain off my back sprocket instead of slamming it into my case.  *shudders*

• GHILL28

Posted July 06, 2015 - 02:57 PM

I had an '09 450f swingarm on my old YZ250.  Lighter, bigger axle, blah blah blah.  I broke the swingarm twice around the chainguide mounts and then got the hell rid of it.  I'm constantly worried about that happening to my '14.  At the first sign of anything happening to it I'm going to have gussets welded all over the chainguide mount.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 08, 2015 - 06:55 PM

You know, they make chain guides that bolster up the stock tabs, so they won't break off.

This is not a 'Yamaha' problem.

All Jap bikes have this issue.

Steahly

TMD

etc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim813

Posted July 09, 2015 - 08:22 PM

I'd agree that I've seen the rear chain guide tabs bend or break on other models. A TM designs or similar product may lessen the possibility of this, but I just bent/broke the mount for my chain guide in the process of bending my TM designs unit. It did not break at the weld though as you describe. A rock will break the guide and swing arm mounts if you hit it right. I had a friend make me a custom chain guide mount guard similar to what companies sell for KTM/Huskys.

• GHILL28

Posted July 10, 2015 - 07:46 AM

It became more of a Yamaha problem than it was before '09.  Swingarm tabs got significantly weaker in that year.

• deathmachine426

Posted July 13, 2015 - 04:12 AM

11728301_10206362394473201_436379142_o.j

11719947_10206362395313222_1746394834_n.

I'm taking it in to get a fresh weld today - but there's the pics in case you guys were curious.

THanks for the replies.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.