Got some supermoto wheels, having front fitment issues, need help please

21 replies to this topic
  • ShiggzLTRWR

Posted July 05, 2015 - 08:29 AM

Excell rims/haan hubs, 120/70/17. I bought these used. My WR450f has a Yamaha speedo, so the bearing is different than what's on the haan hub. I cannot tighten the axle up or the wheel gets tight and rotor rubs on the outer brake pad.

Can I just buy the bearings/sleeve like in my WR hub and hopefully fix this issue?

Minor but my plastic fork guards and brakelines rub on the tire. How do I fix that?

Thank You

• chu

Posted July 05, 2015 - 11:30 AM

Most people trim the fork guards and route the brake like on the outside.  I got fork guards from a WR250X.  You don't need to trim them and the brake line pinch is higher for a 300mm rotor.  I route the line inside the fork.  It doesn't come close to the tire but it's close to the 320mm rotor.  I think I'm using a Goodridge brake line but it would be better with a custom length HEL with the brake line pinch thing moved down about an inch or two.

I have a WR style hub so I'm not sure how to make the YZ style fit.  Different spacer or something maybe?

Edited by chu, July 05, 2015 - 11:32 AM.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted July 05, 2015 - 12:23 PM

Thank You for the reply and the help on the line and guards... These are supposed to be for a WR but I did buy them used. The hub does look different than my WR as the bearing is kind of sticking out of hub and has 2 "teeth" to engage the speedometer. I really don't want to have to change hubs, hopefully I can get the WR bearings or a spacer or something?

• chu

Posted July 05, 2015 - 01:56 PM

It sounds like the hub is for a WR if it has the 2 teeth.  Maybe the previous owner had a YZ and had to do something to make it fit.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted July 05, 2015 - 01:58 PM

Sorry for the confusion. My original hub from my WR has the 2 teeth. NOT the haan hub on my SM wheels

• chu

Posted July 05, 2015 - 02:12 PM

You could probably make it work with YZ spacers if you eliminate the speedometer drive.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted July 05, 2015 - 02:54 PM

Thank You for Your help Chu. Mine is street legal so I need the speedo. I hope someone can chime in with a solution for me?

• stevethe

Posted July 05, 2015 - 07:53 PM

Thank You for Your help Chu. Mine is street legal so I need the speedo. I hope someone can chime in with a solution for me?

Sure ditch the speedo and put in a Trailtech or other speedo.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted July 05, 2015 - 07:55 PM

Is that my only option? I can't put WR bearings/sleeve in or something like that?

• chu

Posted July 06, 2015 - 03:23 AM

You need a hub with the 2 teeth to drive the speed sensor.  You could put the 21 on for vehicle inspections but you probably need a DOT legal tire.  Cops won't know the speedometer doesn't work unless you tell them.  I got a trailtech because of the odometer.  They write down your mileage here when you get inspected.  They also want to know the mileage when you renew your registration and insurance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted July 06, 2015 - 06:31 AM

Is that my only option? I can't put WR bearings/sleeve in or something like that?

If your running a street bike ditch the stock set up and go with something that has many more functions, tach, temp and so forth. If you use a Trailtech make sure you put a little plastic baggy over it when you wash it.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted July 06, 2015 - 06:36 AM

Oh, its the hub. I feel pretty dumb now. So I guess I could get another YZ style spacer and make the wheel work at least. I don't know much about trailtech. How do they moniter speed? I might just give up and make guy refund my money and get actual WR wheels. I was told these were. I didn't know the difference till I took mine off. Thanks again for all the help!

• stevethe

Posted July 06, 2015 - 06:43 AM

Oh, its the hub. I feel pretty dumb now. So I guess I could get another YZ style spacer and make the wheel work at least. I don't know much about trailtech. How do they moniter speed? I might just give up and make guy refund my money and get actual WR wheels. I was told these were. I didn't know the difference till I took mine off. Thanks again for all the help!

I would likely keep the YZ wheels and just get spacers that fit. The Trailtech uses a magnet on the disc and a sensor that can be mounted either on the caliper or I usually mount mine on the plastic fork guard. If you need a pic let me know.

• stevethe

Posted July 06, 2015 - 06:45 AM

By the way most supermoto wheels don't pay much attention or have anything to do with the stock WR gear spacer.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted July 06, 2015 - 06:46 AM

How did I do on price? $900 used excell rims, haan hubs, Avon tires good condition(although the rear is a little too big for my liking 150/70) and stock sprocket/rotors.

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted July 06, 2015 - 07:54 AM

Actually $800, I got the guy to refund me $100

• stevethe

Posted July 06, 2015 - 08:17 AM

Keep em. I don't know prices but they sound like good quality.

• patrick2wd

Posted July 07, 2015 - 05:07 AM

WR & YZ are xchangeable,

I have a set YZ wheels ready to fit my soon-to-be-build 2016 WR!

Get a digital speedo and fit it,

should all be fairly straightforward..

WR & YZ are xchangeable,

I have a set YZ wheels ready to fit my soon-to-be-build 2016 WR!

Get a digital speedo and fit it,

should all be fairly straightforward..

wheels that is...

and a lot of other crap..  :thumbsup:

• ShiggzLTRWR

Posted July 07, 2015 - 05:42 AM

They fit, i just need yz spacer to take place of the WR speedo gear. I was just hoping to use my Yamaha speedo. Now that I know I cant and it seems like a trailtech is better option anyway.

• guru

Posted July 07, 2015 - 11:04 AM

You could also swap out to a stock WR hub.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.