securing BRP on a flatbed

3 replies to this topic
  • lapster

Posted February 21, 2004 - 05:59 PM

Has anyone tried using a product like the "Bike Shoe" (Shop TT, part no. 53-151) or an equivalent? Just looking for a way to secure during transport without spring compression. Many thanks.

• pchansen

Posted February 21, 2004 - 06:09 PM

I use a "ForkSaver" in combination with a removable 3 1/2" wheel chock. I ratchet to the front down via the handle bars and compress the forks on to the fork saver. I then use a third strap from the right foot peg to the wheel chock to cinch the bike up in to the chalk. If done right, the bike barely wobbles at freeway speeds. Be careful not to put too much pressure on the front wheel. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted February 21, 2004 - 06:37 PM

We've been using bike shoes in our trailer for about two years now and they work great even on bumpy dirt roads. It's super quick to secure/unsecure our bikes and I've been very pleased with them.

• motometal

Posted February 22, 2004 - 04:57 AM

I've got a simple but effective method that will get you by. Get out your screw gun and some 2x4" (or larger) scaps. I'm assuming here that the flatbed is wood? Screw down two boards to hold the front wheel on either side. Put a third one in front of the tire if you want. Use Ancra tie downs (not those crappy ratcheting kind), one around the rear wheel pulling rearwards, and then a pair on the handlebars pulling down and slightly forwards. But first, cut a 2 x 4 to fit under the front fender. Those fork saver things are great, but a 2 x 4 works just as well, and you won't be as upset when you lose it.

As an option, the rear wheel can be boxed in with 2 x 4s as well.

Stuffing something under the front fender helps to stabilize the bike, but the idea that squashing the forks wrecks seals and springs is mostly false. The seals take much more punishment when you land from jumps, and a good quality spring can be compressed repeatedly all the way to coil bind without losing free length.

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.