Oil leaking between oil cover and crank case on 07' yz450?

2 replies to this topic
  • WAyz450rider

Posted July 02, 2015 - 05:12 PM

Hey guys,

I have an 07' yz450 where I am continually having an issue where oil keeps seeping out between the oil cover and crank case. It is seeping out at a pretty alarming rate. I have wasted about $30 already on oil and way to much time trying to see if I have fixed the leak. Here is what I have done so far:

1) Replaced all 4 o-ring gaskets which include the three small o-rings and the larger o-ring. I had noticed one of the three small ones was in pretty bad shape but just as a precaution replaced all of them. 

2) Ensured the o-rings are in in place (done this several times). For the small o-rings I put them on the bolts just after I put them through the cover to ensure they don't fall out. The third is definitely in the right spots when I put the cover on.

3) Tightened all 3 bolts down to spec.

There are no abrasions or cracks anywhere a long the case where the oil cover adheres to. I have done this numerous times in the past but noticed this problem just started popping up. The only conclusion I can come to is the oil cover may be warped. As this seemed to coincide with taking it to St. Anthony sand dunes where it was running super hot. 

Any ideas?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR250F

Posted July 02, 2015 - 09:33 PM

You can check to see if the cover is warped by putting the cover flat on a piece of glass and checking for gaps.

• WAyz450rider

Posted July 10, 2015 - 10:34 PM

Ended up buying an after market Tusk oil cover for about $35 and seems to have fixed the issue. Hard to tell just by looking at my old one if it was dented or cracked but must have been as the new one has no leaks!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.