How often do I grease the swingarm bearings?

10 replies to this topic
  • viking50

Posted February 21, 2004 - 05:22 PM

New sport for me, I am a woods rider in Michigan. I was wondering how often am I going to have to grease the swingarm bearings?

• Hamish

Posted February 21, 2004 - 05:42 PM

Personally I'd recomend at least once a year, or whenever you have the engine out for servicing. It's a virtually free job that you can knock over in 1/2 a day that will save you a heap of money in the long run. If you must wash your bike, avoid spraying high pressure water in the direction of the seals and bearings. Id recomend that you invest in a tube of quality molybdenum-disulfide grease as it is good for this application.

my 2 cents worth,
Hamish

• basicblues

Posted February 21, 2004 - 05:58 PM

While we are on this subject again, I was wondering if anyone added a zerek fitting to the swingarm without taking the swingarm apart? What would be worst? Waiting for the bearings to need to be replaced or adding the zerek with the possiblity of a small amount of metal shavings mixed in the grease. Which would fail first? :)

• Hamish

Posted February 22, 2004 - 12:55 AM

I would say the addition of metal shavings. In my opinion, the zerk isn't the 'be all and end all' of bearing lubrication. The reason a zerk isn't used in many roller bearing applications is because it doesnt do a very good job of evenly greasing the bearing, and can also cause seal damage. Your best bet is to grease the bearings manually and dont use the pressure washer to try and fill them with water.
Hamish

• tctrailrider

Posted February 22, 2004 - 04:15 AM

I was wondering if anyone added a zerek fitting to the swingarm without taking the swingarm apart?

A TTer put zerks in a year or so ago, nice writeup with photo's. Zerks were done with the linkage apart. The problem with the setup was that the seals were pushed off when adding grease. I grease mine once a year.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ill_caper

Posted February 22, 2004 - 06:16 AM

About how long does it take to grease the swingarm bearings? Ive never done it but figure I need to before the season begins. Does anyone have any tips or pics to do this? Thanks, D :) :D :D

• tctrailrider

Posted February 22, 2004 - 07:30 AM

Does anyone have any tips or pics to do this?

Check this out, compliments of Wrooster. Most do not remove the needle bearings to regrease but if you really want to do it right this is very good information. :)

http://www.thumperfaq.com/swingarm.htm

• lipskid

Posted February 22, 2004 - 07:46 AM

Has anyone noticed in the 450 manual, Yamaha claims to use a "special" dry lube on the swingarm/linkage bearings that make them "maintenance free." Does anyone know what this wonderstuff is? I can't see just ignoring these bearings, but I would like to use the same if it's any good.

• SBG

Posted February 22, 2004 - 04:59 PM

A lot of people recommend removing the string cheese, but it isn't necessary. I listened to my buds and pulled it apart only to find that they were mint. Since I had it apart I gave it the what the hell. Save yourself the trouble and don't bother. The string cheese was just fine in mine, and I'm sure yours won't be bad either.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted February 23, 2004 - 05:44 AM

A lot of people recommend removing the string cheese, but it isn't necessary. I listened to my buds and pulled it apart only to find that they were mint. Since I had it apart I gave it the what the hell. Save yourself the trouble and don't bother. The string cheese was just fine in mine, and I'm sure yours won't be bad either.

I will ditto this, the string cheese was in tact and looked fine, except one bearing which was developing rust the string cheese was toast. I had never done the job either and I just did it about 2 weeks ago. Read the above link to the FAQ that wrooster wrote up and you will have no problems, Just have the manual handy. I am no mechanic and I found the job easy enough to do just for the hell of it and to make sure everthing is good.

• Mike_Hudson

Posted February 23, 2004 - 08:48 AM

I finished the job myself this last weekend. One bearing that was in bad shape was the bottom shock mount roller bearing. Looked like it was packed in dirt. I've never used a pressure washer on it and have about 600 miles on it (~1 yr). The top ball-type bearing on the shock was pretty dry also. I cleaned it and greased as best I could. All the swingarm and linkage looked good - gave a good gob of grease anyway.
Mike

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.