Replacing Coolant on the 426

7 replies to this topic
  • John_Lorenz

Posted February 20, 2002 - 10:40 PM

I have seen differing suggestions on replacing the coolant on the 426. The Manual states 1/1 using a none corrsive Aluminum Friendly Coolant with distilled water. I have also heard (Confliction) from diff Yamah dealers its ok and not ok to keep the Coolant Pure (No Mixture)

I come from an older genration of one lungers, in fact I raced 40 inchers prior to migrating to thumpers. So whats the real story

• Hokie

Posted February 20, 2002 - 11:47 AM

I bought the premixed 50/50 (gasp) Honda coolant and just poured it in the radiator. Seems to be working OK so far.

• CAL

Posted February 20, 2002 - 01:33 PM

Straight water will cool better than a mix of water and antifreeze. Basically, the only reason you run "coolant" or "antifreeze" is to prevent freezing. I run straight distilled water in the warm months and add "coolant" for the cold months. If you're asking about running straight "coolant" and no way.

• txthumper

Posted February 20, 2002 - 03:10 PM

the coolant is not only used for freezing, also acts as a lubricant for waterpump...using straight water will shorten the life of the waterpump seal..but you are right about water cooling better...we live in TX so the winters arent to bad..i add enough coolant to be safe but tend to have a 70/30 mix....i use regular anti-freeze mixed with de-ionized water

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted February 20, 2002 - 04:21 PM

The coolant also protects the metal that it comes in contact with from corroding.

• #1_Hit-man

Posted February 20, 2002 - 04:42 PM

I will be replacing mine with "ENGINE ICE", I hear alot of good things about this stuff. I was told it will drop your engine temp. a good bit. And we know these things like to run hot, Any comments? THANX! ~Hitman~

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: #1 Hit-man ]

• Glen_T

Posted February 21, 2002 - 05:57 AM

I use dex-cool to protect the aluminum in the engine and it has worked well at 50/50 with soft water.

• Oregon_Thumper

Posted February 21, 2002 - 06:18 AM

Any or you guys try Water Wetter. I know most of the guys around here that race Sprint Cars and other dirt track cars at the local track use it and love it. They say it lowers the engine temp by atleast 7-12 degrees.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.