2015 WR 450f

9 replies to this topic
  • KX25O

Posted July 01, 2015 - 04:33 AM

Does the 5 speed transmission get annoying out on the open trails?

• mch

Posted July 01, 2015 - 05:52 AM

As opposed to what?  My transmission ratios seem pretty good, but at 70mph or so with stock gearing, you feel like upshifting into 6th or 7th (which doesn't exist).

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 01, 2015 - 08:40 AM

It's wide ratio, so no.

If you mean why doesn't it have a 6 speed like a KTM, remember, they use close ratio, due to whimpy torque.

• offrd beatr

Posted July 01, 2015 - 10:37 AM

The ratio spread is ok once the bike is moving. First is too tall and fifth is too short

• Andrew Puetz

Posted July 01, 2015 - 07:35 PM

to answer the question... no

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 02, 2015 - 09:47 PM

I run 14/50 if it's going to be lots of dual sport. Cruise all day 45-55 mph. 80 max.

13/51 if not. Cruise at 35-45. 70 max

My 6 speed KTM is about the same results because ALL KTM's sinced 2011 are close ratio. No more wide ratio motors. The 5 speed models are like 4 speeds on the Jap bikes.

Beta's are wide ratio 6speed.

The new YZFX is wide ratio 6speed.

• chu

Posted July 03, 2015 - 05:03 AM

Sounds like if it was like the Beta, you could leave the gearing stock and ride it like a 5 speed.  Then 6th would just be an overdrive gear for the highway.  I'd probably like the ratios a little closer than what we have now and then add another gear.  Either way would be an upgrade.

• jmd426

Posted July 03, 2015 - 11:01 AM

It's wide ratio, so no.

If you mean why doesn't it have a 6 speed like a KTM, remember, they use close ratio, due to whimpy torque.

Lol  :lame:

• Texas2Smoker

Posted July 03, 2015 - 11:08 AM

I find myself chugging a little bit in the woods and slow trails. I think I'll go up 2 or 3 teeth on the rear sprocket. That should help. The rest of the gears are fine and should be fine even with the lower gearing. If you're coming from a Kawasaki, you'll love this bike. Hell, if you don't love this bike something is wrong with you.

• chu

Posted July 04, 2015 - 08:34 AM

The gear ratios on the 500EXC don't look too bad on gearingcommander.  The 350XC-F looks like it would be similar to a close ratio 5 speed with an extra shift.  The 350EXC-F has a lower first and second, looks like it would be like a wide ratio 5 speed with an extra shift.

Edited by chu, July 05, 2015 - 06:10 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.