Broken Rear Spoke. Safe to ride?

4 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted February 21, 2004 - 02:11 PM

I just noticed I have a broken rear spoke. Is this safe to ride for the short term(100 miles)?
I tried to remove the spoke by turning the nipple but it turned both directions without coming out. How do you remove the spoke? And is it just a question of putting a new one in there?

• mattydavis

Posted February 21, 2004 - 02:40 PM

i just went through this a couple weeks back on my xr400. on the rear wheel of our bikes there are two different sizes. the honda parts fiche won't tell which one is which so i ended up buying one of each part number. not expensive like $2 a pop. then you need a spoke wrench, the universal one is around $5. what you do is loosen and kind of undo the spoke that are in the way of inserting the new one, i had to do about 4 or 5. it is an easy just you just have to start it. if you hold the spoke in your left hand and a spoke nipple in your right, you turn the nipple clockwise to tighten, and all the spoke are like that. it simple but i always thought spoke were reverse threaded or were threaded different on both sides.

yeah, i'd say its safe, i probably did the last years LABtoV with that broken spoke

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted February 21, 2004 - 04:37 PM

Its safe-but you should take/cut it out, or zip tye the loose spoke to another.

• YoungGunXR

Posted February 21, 2004 - 06:08 PM

I thought it would be safe to ride with one broken spoke on my xr400 and the next thing I knew was another broke and another and another. At the end I had to replace like 6 of them. HOnda put them on for me for about 30 bucks. So it wasnt that big of a deal to put a new one on.

• slowxr

Posted February 22, 2004 - 08:10 AM

Good info. After sleeping on it, I plan on fixing it prior to my next ride. I'd hate to be 40 miles from the truck with a wheel coming apart.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.