Unable to find heavier flywheel weight YZ450 '10

19 replies to this topic
  • TuckermanRav

Posted June 29, 2015 - 10:44 AM

Hi All,

It's been recommended to me by a number of friends that i install a flywheel weight on my 2010 YZ450F.  Doing 50% trail and 50% track, being 36 and with three kids, i'm sold that a flywheel weight is going to be great for the type of rider that i am.  I'm especially tired of stalling it out on the trails.

So here's the question/problem : I can only find this 4.4oz GYTR.  I'm looking for something heavier.  I had purchased this Steahly weight (835 model, notice the URL says 836) from ebay only to find out that the 835 doesn't fit the 2010 rotor.  Long story short i talked to steahly and they suggested that i buy a 2011 rotor and but it on my 2010 bike.  However, another person said that won't work - won't fit.

That said - i'm looking to put 9oz weight on my bike and i can't figure out how it can be done.

Could anyone provide some ideas, any ideas will do.  The less invasive of course the better.

Appreciate the help on this.  

-mike

• 1stSSPZ

Posted June 30, 2015 - 04:13 PM

I put the GYTR 4.4 on my 13, awesome! Took away just enough of the jump right off idle.

• jmd426

Posted June 30, 2015 - 04:28 PM

Hi All,

It's been recommended to me by a number of friends that i install a flywheel weight on my 2010 YZ450F.  Doing 50% trail and 50% track, being 36 and with three kids, i'm sold that a flywheel weight is going to be great for the type of rider that i am.  I'm especially tired of stalling it out on the trails.

So here's the question/problem : I can only find this 4.4oz GYTR.  I'm looking for something heavier.  I had purchased this Steahly weight (835 model, notice the URL says 836) from ebay only to find out that the 835 doesn't fit the 2010 rotor.  Long story short i talked to steahly and they suggested that i buy a 2011 rotor and but it on my 2010 bike.  However, another person said that won't work - won't fit.

That said - i'm looking to put 9oz weight on my bike and i can't figure out how it can be done.

Could anyone provide some ideas, any ideas will do.  The less invasive of course the better.

Appreciate the help on this.  

-mike

This is the one that fits the 2010 only and by the price of it i would assume they are just supplying the 2011 flywheel with there weight or a modded fly wheel to work. model #835+comp. Call them again looks like they have a solution for you now.

http://www.steahlyof...weight-836.html

• TuckermanRav

Posted June 30, 2015 - 04:44 PM

This is the one that fits the 2010 only and by the price of it i would assume they are just supplying the 2011 flywheel with there weight or a modded fly wheel to work. model #835+comp. Call them again looks like they have a solution for you now.

http://www.steahlyof...weight-836.html

I talked to Steahly a number of times.  Actually the link you posted is the same as the one I posted. Between yesterday and today i think we've gotten to the bottom of what happened. Apparently Yamaha 'upgraded' the flywheel from '10 to '11. This new upgraded FW became the new standard for '11-'13.  The OEM '10 FW was discontinued. For this reason Steahly doesn't even produce the 836 model anymore only the 835.  I can assure any future readers the 835 will not fit on a '10 stock FW.  It's just a hair to big.  The resolution while not cheap is to buy a new stock '11-'13 FW and fit the ring to that one.  Or buy the GYTR which is only 4.4oz. -- BTW, Look at the GYTR FW, particularly look at the part number - they are using the same part number of '10 - '13.  Meaning they ship you the upgraded FW even for the '10 model.   This was a big headache to figure out.  I'll get all the parts installed next week once they arrive and update this thread.
Thanks,

-mike

• grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2015 - 07:40 AM

When you say, "only 4.4 ounce", remember a couple of things:

1. The placement of the additional weight is AT LEAST as important as how much weight you add.  4 ounces added to the outside of a 5" flywheel is far more effective at adding inertia than the same weight placed on the outside of a 3" flywheel
  2. The flywheels of a '10+ YZ450 is already  heavier than the '09 and earlier models, and 50% or more larger in diameter, so any weight added to the outside of it will have roughly twice the effect that the same weight would have added in the same way to an '09
  3. 100% of the added weight on a GYT-R flywheel is at the outside edge of the piece, the most effective location possible.  Some portion of the mass of a add-on weight must necessarily be at a location closer to center, and therefore less effective.

• TuckermanRav

Posted July 01, 2015 - 09:55 AM

When you say, "only 4.4 ounce", remember a couple of things:

1. The placement of the additional weight is AT LEAST as important as how much weight you add.  4 ounces added to the outside of a 5" flywheel is far more effective at adding inertia than the same weight placed on the outside of a 3" flywheel
  2. The flywheels of a '10+ YZ450 is already  heavier than the '09 and earlier models, and 50% or more larger in diameter, so any weight added to the outside of it will have roughly twice the effect that the same weight would have added in the same way to an '09
  3. 100% of the added weight on a GYT-R flywheel is at the outside edge of the piece, the most effective location possible.  Some portion of the mass of a add-on weight must necessarily be at a location closer to center, and therefore less effective.

These are great points and indeed over the last couple of days I've learned more about inertia mass than I thought I would have ever cared to. That said both Steahly and and GYTR are placing their weights the exact same - that is, a ring that sits on the outside of the flywheel. The main difference (besides weight) is the bonding process. Steahly is using epoxy and GYTR is using welds. As you mentioned the diameter and weight of the '10 is already larger in both aspects so would a 4.4oz be fine?  Possibly, I don't know. I know my buddy who rides a 450 KTM with an 11oz FW won't shut up about buying the "heaviest flywheel weight" possible.   It's going to be interesting to feel the effect of it - i can't say i ever recall riding with a weighted FW. 

-mike

Edited by TuckermanRav, July 01, 2015 - 09:56 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2015 - 10:04 AM

When GYT-R used to post the inertia mass of their flywheels, you could see that the 4.4 ounces added to the EFI flywheels increased the mass more than the 9 ounces they added to the '09 did for that one.

I have no problem suggesting that more weight might likely be even better, but I am a bit reticent as to using epoxy to mount it.  I fly in airplanes that are glued together, and my old racing bicycle is glued together.... It's the DIY aspect, probably.  Just a thing stuck in my head. 

• Renier

Posted July 09, 2015 - 10:49 AM

Ok quick update - (I am a friend of TuckermanRav)

As was mentioned Stealhy does not make a weight for the 2010 OEM flywheel, so we ordered a new OEM flywheel (wish is actually the revised flywheel from 2011 model) and the 9oz Steahly weigh. The steps provided by Stealhy was spot on and very easy to follow so in no time i had everything done and ready to go. The instructions stipulates a 24 Hour period to dry followed by 2 hours @ 250f in the oven so i did that as per instructions.

I know people are skeptical when it comes to using epoxy to fit a flywheel weight - I feel comfortable with this after doing it seen that its hold onto the flywheel with 4 grub screws + epoxy with center punch marks to provide some bonding between the weight and the flywheel. Fitting the flywheel i also noticed that it is a tight fit, they cannot make a heavier flywheel even if they wanted to, so if by any miracle the weight comes loose it has nowhere to go and the worst that can happen is the flywheel spinning inside the weight.

I have not had a chance to ride the bike yet but will report back as soon as we got some trail time on the bike.

chat later,

r

• Renier

Posted July 14, 2015 - 08:24 AM

Had time over the weekend to hit the trails, the flywheel made a massive difference. The bike can now easily lug along in 2nd on low rpm. Help a lot with stalls. The bike does not feel less powerfull infact it hooks up better that kinda makes it feel faster in a sense out of tight sections.

I ran the stock map for this ride but will try the less hit map next to see what that does.

As many has stated before a YZ450f is hard work on trails, this is a good mod for a weekend worrier that wants to ride both trail and track.

I have not been on a bike for over 12 years and the last i owned was a CR250 so this is taking some time getting use to

• cpetz24

Posted July 17, 2015 - 04:14 AM

What map are you running?  Stock?  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Renier

Posted July 17, 2015 - 09:12 AM

Yup for this ride i used stock to get a baseline to work from, i am planning to use the less hit map this weekend:

Less hit feeling at low RPM
Fuel 
0 0 0
+2 0 0
+4 0 0
Ignition
0 0 0
-1 0 0
-5 0 0

anybody used the following map? whats your thoughts/experience?

"Woods Map" originally posted by Directmotocross.com

Type of Use (Track, Trail, Desert, etc.) Woods racing

Fuel Injection (FI)
+4 +4 -3
+4 +4 -4
-3 -4 -4
Ignition (IG)
-3 -3 -3
-3 -3 -0
-3 -3 -3

I have noticed some post mentioning that things don't look right with this map. I don't know enough about maps to spot things that looks wrong.

Feedback would be appreciated. 

Chat soon,

r

• cpetz24

Posted July 17, 2015 - 10:11 AM

I just put the woods map on my bike after running the stock map for the first 3 months I owned the bike.  I used to be able to stall it by getting on it hard in a gear or two too high.  I noticed now that it tends to lug right through this like I thought a 450 should do and pull out of it.  I did move the power lower in the range, but it also feels smoother at the same time.  I'm hopefully going to get it out and race it this weekend.  I'll let you know what I think and if it made a better difference.  

• Renier

Posted July 17, 2015 - 02:20 PM

will give it a go this weekend and let you know.

btw, are you running stock flywheel?

Edited by Renier, July 17, 2015 - 02:20 PM.

• flapwick

Posted July 18, 2015 - 06:51 AM

Nothing scientifically  conclusive here,but maybe a bit of a reference........On my YZ250 2-stroke,I tried a number of different flywheels and flywheel weights.The GYTR 8.04 oz complete flywheel,had waaaay more effect than a Steahly 9oz.bolt on,and much more noticeable effect than a Steahly 11oz. bolt on.I put the GYTR back on before I tried the 13 oz. I hate it when people post answers that don't apply to my direct question,but I was inspired to be irrelevant this morning.

• Renier

Posted July 18, 2015 - 03:37 PM

Haha no problem man, curious to know was the steahly bolton on the outside or inside, i know the location makes massive difference. On the 450 both gytr and steahly is fitted on inside so in my opinion we will get more advantage from the 9oz steahly vs the 4.5 gytr

• flapwick

Posted July 19, 2015 - 09:23 AM

For the 2-stroke,it was a pancake(disc) that went on top of it,so the weight was spread out all across it.Much of it towards the center.The GYTR had sort of a metal band spot welded(?) around the outside.It looked like they added(welded) on a band of weight to the stock flywheel.I don't quite understand how that ring on the Steahly for the new 450f's is screwed and glued on?I'm frightened.

Edited by flapwick, July 19, 2015 - 09:24 AM.

• Renier

Posted July 19, 2015 - 07:25 PM

I was also a little worried at first but after doing it i feel comfortable. If by any miracle the epoxy and grub screws fail the weight has nowhere to go so all that will happen is the flywheel will spin inside the weight.

• cpetz24

Posted July 20, 2015 - 04:19 AM

will give it a go this weekend and let you know.

btw, are you running stock flywheel?

I am running the stock flywheel.  At this point.  I figured I would try the free option first and then if needed, go to the flywheel weight option.  I didn't get a chance to get it out over the weekend, but I think I may tonight.  Believe it or not, the wife asked me if we could go riding tonight, so I won't be passing up that golden opportunity.... She's the best!! 

• Renier

Posted July 20, 2015 - 07:36 AM

cpetz24 Nice! 

I tried the less hit map yesterday and stuck with it the whole day. really liked the feel of it. Bike was controllable and had great hookup. The ride was not pure trail its kinda a trail like track with less hard technical sections, most of it i managed to run 2nd and every now and then got into 3rd. Will be interesting to try it with this map on more technical tight sections.

For now this is my favorite map so far.

We managed to get the OP's weight fitted and he tried the same setup yesterday and was also ecstatic by the results. The outcome far outweighs the $$$ spend in my opinion.  

• cody654

Posted August 15, 2016 - 01:29 PM

I put the GYTR 4.4 on my 13, awesome! Took away just enough of the jump right off idle.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.