2012 WR450 Seat

12 replies to this topic
  • hubbazoot

Posted June 28, 2015 - 06:21 PM

I'm looking for a new seat for my WR450. I'd really prefer not mess up the original seat, so I want to get a replacement board. Does anyone know of a company that sells complete seats for the '12 WR450?

• Andrew Puetz

Posted June 28, 2015 - 06:50 PM

i did a Seat Concepts seat and I love it.  Not sure how to handle the plastic in your case though.  If you really want to spend $ you will probably have to order a second seat or see if they have a part for just the plastic.  you could also be careful and keep the foam and cover intact if you do the "DIY" way then you could re-upholster it if you wanted it back...  but it would be a lot of work.

For me, I couldn't throw out the stock seat fast enough.  Useless.  My ass has thanked me.  

But a thumbs up here for Seat Concepts.

• hubbazoot

Posted June 29, 2015 - 01:39 PM

i did a Seat Concepts seat and I love it.  Not sure how to handle the plastic in your case though.  If you really want to spend $ you will probably have to order a second seat or see if they have a part for just the plastic.  you could also be careful and keep the foam and cover intact if you do the "DIY" way then you could re-upholster it if you wanted it back...  but it would be a lot of work.

For me, I couldn't throw out the stock seat fast enough.  Useless.  My ass has thanked me.  

But a thumbs up here for Seat Concepts.

I like to have as many mods to my bike be "bolt on" as possible. Hence my enigma. 

How about shared fitment? What other bike seats will fit? Same year YZ450? YZ250?

• Andrew Puetz

Posted June 29, 2015 - 06:58 PM

Im the same as you....  I like to bolt on what I can.  But had no luck with a bolt on seat.  It is weird why this model is excluded from just that with these seat companies.  Good luck to you!

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted June 30, 2015 - 04:48 AM

SDG

• Texas2Smoker

Posted June 30, 2015 - 06:46 AM

I think your only option is ordering a new seat pan from Yamaha at $300. I looked into it. Another vote for Seat Concepts.. Turned my bike into a couch. They custom pour the foam and it's not really that expensive. I didn't want to f with covering it so I sent them a 20 and the seat pan and they did it for me. You'll never regret not having your old seat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Andrew Puetz

Posted July 01, 2015 - 07:34 PM

if i did it over I woulda sent them the pan.  I did it myself and wouldn't do that again.  Ordered a YZ250X and will have them do that to the seat for it

• mch

Posted July 01, 2015 - 07:44 PM

I googled the part number and found a new OEM complete seat for $170.  Still pretty spendy if all you want is the pan and hardware.

• DRZ04

Posted July 01, 2015 - 08:47 PM

With a 30" inseam I needed a cut down seat for my '13 WR450. I called SDG & they said that Yamaha kept changing the seat base every year or two so that it wasn't worth the development cost for such a small group. They cut it down & put a new cover on it for me. It cost me the same as what I bought a whole seat from them for my DRZ. The seat was low enough but it is hard as a 2 x 6. I wish I had gone with the Seat Concepts.

• chu

Posted July 02, 2015 - 06:35 AM

It's easy if you get the cheap air stapler from harbor freight.

• Chaconne

Posted July 02, 2015 - 08:11 AM

With a 30" inseam I needed a cut down seat for my '13 WR450. I called SDG & they said that Yamaha kept changing the seat base every year or two so that it wasn't worth the development cost for such a small group. They cut it down & put a new cover on it for me. It cost me the same as what I bought a whole seat from them for my DRZ. The seat was low enough but it is hard as a 2 x 6. I wish I had gone with the Seat Concepts.

For my 2014 WR450 I had Fisher Seats do a cut down and they widened it very slightly. Excellent quality just enough padding really did a great job. Fisher is a little pricey but they were super helpful and well worth it IMHO.

• AtomicGeo

Posted July 02, 2015 - 07:40 PM

Another vote for Seat Concepts

WP_20150519_001_zpsfwut9ls1.jpg

• hubbazoot

Posted July 24, 2015 - 08:06 AM

Does anyone know if a YZ250 seat from the same year will fit on the WR?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.