14 YZ450 Spongy front brake after titanium lever install

9 replies to this topic
  • Gaz929

Posted June 28, 2015 - 02:08 AM

Guys I've put a set of titanium levers on my bike "2014 YZ450" and now my front brake is spongy as hell, it will pull all the way to the grip! Where as before with the standard lever it didn't ?

• WouldsAssassin

Posted June 29, 2015 - 12:04 PM

Put the stocker back on and see what happens. 

Bleed your brakes?

I like to press firmly on the caliper forcing all the fluid (and any air) out and then pump up the system again. It usually makes the brakes nice and firm.

Edited by WouldsAssassin, June 29, 2015 - 12:07 PM.

• billygildark5007

Posted June 29, 2015 - 12:47 PM

I've heard of this happening on later model yz bikes and "cheaper" aftermarket levers to when the stock perch is reused.
Try what assassin said, if that works then it's the shinny new lever...
If not bleed away,

• Gaz929

Posted June 30, 2015 - 12:23 AM

Cheers guys, I think I'm just going to bleed the system and put some fresh fluid in there as it's still the OEM stuff anyway.

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2015 - 06:59 AM

There was a change in the master cylinder at the '08 model year that requires a different lever.  The symptoms of using the wrong one (early lever on a late master) are usually different in that case, but it's worth a close comparison of the way the levers contact the master cylinder plunger, just in case.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gaz929

Posted July 01, 2015 - 11:07 AM

I bled the system yesterday and it's fixed the issue

• jamesrh406

Posted July 05, 2015 - 08:29 PM

I changed my lever for ARC levers and had the same problem. When I installed the stock lever the problem went away. I also noticed it with a different aftermarket lever. I only run stock break lever on my bikes now!!!

• Quake

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:09 AM

Same thing! I installed Sunline MDX lever and my brake was too soft.. I did put the stock back, but still think it can be better

Edited by Quake, July 06, 2015 - 05:31 AM.

• woods-rider

Posted July 06, 2015 - 05:23 AM

I'm just wondering, but why in the hell would anyone put titanium levers on their bike, to gain weight? Titanium is denser than the stock aluminum and im sure they weren't cheap!

• GHILL28

Posted July 06, 2015 - 09:16 AM

Same thing! I installed Sunline MDX lever and my brake was too soft.. I did put the stock back, but still think it can be better

I just went through this with a set of late model CRF brakes using a Sunline V1 MDX lever.  The geometry on them is different and not really favorable for braking power.  Stock lever back on, back to really nice power.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.