pig in the sand?

5 replies to this topic
  • xrbrp

Posted February 21, 2004 - 07:35 AM

My kids want to go riding at Pismo, how does the Pig handle in the sand? :)

• jayrider2003

Posted February 21, 2004 - 11:17 AM

With a corked BRP, and under normal riding conditions at Oregon coast sand dunes, it would boilover rather quickly. Uncorked and edelbrock'ed, I haven't had any issues even after going nonstop through a tank of gas (<20 mpg). (13/48 gearing)

Handling feels secure once you get on top of the sand, like 30 mph or faster. Weight bias toward the rear, unless you are turning at slower speeds. Steering is light, and directionality is predictable. It really doesn't get tossed around much.

I have been riding with partially deflated stock tires, and although I have a new paddle tire, I haven't tried it yet.I ride sand maybe 10%.

I did go riding in Idaho at St.Anthony. Huge place, but very dry. I approached a dune, didn't get the front light enough, and buried 3/4 of the bike in the base of the dune. After I pulled myself out of the sand (Fullface helmets good), then it was the bikes turn. This is where 300lbs feels like more than 300lbs. But, I wouldn't want a smaller bike in the sand powerwise. Its too fun.

Jay (03xr650r)

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 22, 2004 - 06:02 PM

I agree, get the pig on top of the sand and have a blast the faster you go the more stable it becomes. It does matter what tire your using. The stock tire with lots of tread does fine but the 739 AT is not a sand tire. The Michelin S12 is an awsome soft terrien tire. You need good lugs in the sand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The_Dave

Posted February 23, 2004 - 01:48 PM

I has several hundred hours in the sand on the BRP, it is not an issue trust me. You should put a paddle tire on if you want to enjoy your time on the sand. I have run a Turbo-Paddle for the last two years and it gives the best perfromance of any I tried. With other paddles I find that it is way to easy to rip the paddles from the carcas.

You need to be aware of engine breaking while in the sand, if you roll off the throttle be prepared to stop....NOW! Turning is not much of a problem as long as you keep your speed up. I would keep the inside leg out and be ready to catch it if the front washes. You will need to keep your speedup a little for two reasons, it is major work to ride really slow and you dump it constantly and, if you don't move air over the radiator you gonna over heat it big time. You will need to remove your rear spring rock guard or the paddle will remove it for you! I run an outerwears shock cover to protect the shock. You will also need a flag and mount. I mounted mine to the rear axle bolt and have never had a problem with it. I have a Scotts stablizer on mine and never have rode the sand without it so it is something to consider...I hear without it it's just a little more work.

I have been to Pismo several times, you will like it!

• xrbrp

Posted February 23, 2004 - 01:59 PM

thanks for the info, I think I will go, because I feel the need for speed. :)

• qadsan

Posted February 23, 2004 - 02:56 PM

it is major work to ride really slow

I'll second that point, especially if there are lots of turns :)

My son's XR250R is much easier to ride slow in the sand than my XR650R, but once you're up to speed like everyone else says, you'll be fine. What was really funny a few weeks ago was that we found some steep dunes where some kids were trying to get up them on smaller bikes, but their skinny tires kept digging in and their engines would bog afterwards. I was on a Honda FatCat at the time and the kids were poking fun at this odd looking bike, but they all came over afterwards to check it out after I climbed the dunes one handed and came back down one handed on that thing :D

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  47 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.