Yamaha YZ450F

214 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted June 28, 2015 - 09:59 AM

Is this a video of a plated YZ450FX

• Monk

Posted June 28, 2015 - 10:16 AM

Is this a video of a plated YZ450FX http://youtu.be/2QmdJCzmdO8

No, it's just a standard 450f with a head and taillight...I did the same.

20150509_091341_zpsui1idxwq.jpg

Edited by Monk, June 28, 2015 - 10:18 AM.

• tomerb

Posted June 28, 2015 - 11:49 AM

20150509_091341_zpsui1idxwq.jpg

How do you carry that log??

• RMK800

Posted June 28, 2015 - 01:26 PM

Hope they look like this..........Only with lights, kickstand and electric start.

Not a huge fan of yellow, but would like to see the black rims as stock.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted June 28, 2015 - 02:23 PM

How do you like the YZ as a woods bike ?   Did it replace another bike in your stable ?

As a WR rider, I wonder what I am giving up by not riding a YZ.

• DMC707

Posted June 28, 2015 - 02:33 PM

How do you like the YZ as a woods bike ?   Did it replace another bike in your stable ?

I was pondering the same thing -- i was under the impression the current gen WR was a mean machine (relatively speaking)  

• tomerb

Posted June 28, 2015 - 02:37 PM

Not a huge fan of yellow, but would like to see the black rims as stock.

I still like yellow, always have........

C&J Framed YZ360B 

Attached Thumbnails

• Tom 1975 YZ 360.JPG

• Monk

Posted June 28, 2015 - 02:49 PM

How do you like the YZ as a woods bike ? Did it replace another bike in your stable ?

The WR felt better and probably is better overall then the YZF for a typical trail guy. The YZF is awesome for a racer but is too much bike 50% of the time. The handling and performance of the YZF are beyond unreal but when the going gets tough, unless you have some decent skill you'll never use the bike potential. You'll never make it out of 3rd gear in normal trail riding. The power is so broad and with the flick of the wrist literally jumps out from underneath you. I also find the bike too tall. I've got a call in for a 250FX as I'm taking a step back from racing.

• Monk

Posted June 28, 2015 - 02:50 PM

How do you carry that log??

I get all wild on maple syrup and Canadian beer... Shit gets real, real fast! Lol

Edited by Monk, June 28, 2015 - 02:51 PM.

• tomerb

Posted June 28, 2015 - 02:57 PM

I get all wild on maple syrup and Canadian beer... Shit gets real, real fast! Lol

Plus It's on the wrong side are you left handed??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chu

Posted June 28, 2015 - 03:33 PM

I never rode a YZ but I imagine if you geared it down so first gear was like a WR, fifth would be really short.  Have to wait and see if there's a six speed what the ratios would be like.

• MentalGuru

Posted June 28, 2015 - 03:34 PM

The WR felt better and probably is better overall then the YZF for a typical trail guy. The YZF is awesome for a racer but is too much bike 50% of the time. The handling and performance of the YZF are beyond unreal but when the going gets tough, unless you have some decent skill you'll never use the bike potential. You'll never make it out of 3rd gear in normal trail riding. The power is so broad and with the flick of the wrist literally jumps out from underneath you. I also find the bike too tall. I've got a call in for a 250FX as I'm taking a step back from racing.

That should be a sweet bike once you transfer the parts from your 450 onto it.  I know for a fact the 450 has too much power for the riding I do but the 250FX would work great.  I look forward to following your build up if you get one.  :thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 28, 2015 - 05:39 PM

The 2015 YZ450F-X is an X because that is the year designation.....X = 2015

In Europe you can by the YZ as a YZ450F/E (enduro), which means a WR lighting kit and kickstand.

Edited by KRANNIE, June 28, 2015 - 05:41 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted June 29, 2015 - 02:23 AM

Have you put in enough time on the YZ450F to adapt to it ?  What map are you running ?

I thought my WR450F was really powerful when I started riding it 2 years ago.  Now its just the norm and I finding myself using more and more of its power to the point that I think I'm actually looking for more.  Now when I get on other bikes I'm thinking they are under powered, especially at lower revs.  Other bikes might be nearly as fast in a drag race, but when you get on the trail they don't have that surge of acceleration every time you twist the throttle.  Or in the case of a pipey 2 stroke, they have too much of it which results in flurry and wheelspin.  450 4ts are smooth and controllable.

I'm not saying I ride WOT all the time, because I don't.  Most of the time I'm riding part throttle controlling my speed.  But the second it opens up between obstacles, its BRAPPP time, even if its only for a few seconds.  I wonder how that would be a on YZ450F.  

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, June 29, 2015 - 02:25 AM.

• Monk

Posted June 29, 2015 - 05:35 AM

Have you put in enough time on the YZ450F to adapt to it ? What map are you running ?

I thought my WR450F was really powerful when I started riding it 2 years ago. Now its just the norm and I finding myself using more and more of its power to the point that I think I'm actually looking for more. Now when I get on other bikes I'm thinking they are under powered, especially at lower revs. Other bikes might be nearly as fast in a drag race, but when you get on the trail they don't have that surge of acceleration every time you twist the throttle. Or in the case of a pipey 2 stroke, they have too much of it which results in flurry and wheelspin. 450 4ts are smooth and controllable.

I'm not saying I ride WOT all the time, because I don't. Most of the time I'm riding part throttle controlling my speed. But the second it opens up between obstacles, its BRAPPP time, even if its only for a few seconds. I wonder how that would be a on YZ450F.

Ya, you could say I have a few hours on the bike. As for power, you never get used to it. The YZF is a good 8hp or more up in the WR and 30lbs lighter. It also revs instantly etc etc etc. The YZF is a track bike plain and simple. It's one of the few bikes I've owned where I haven't doubted needing enough power to clear something.

• RockerYZWR

Posted June 29, 2015 - 05:05 PM

MidlifeCrisisGuy, you should go with a big-bore kit.  That would probably make a little more power.

• patrick2wd

Posted June 30, 2015 - 12:23 AM

The 2015 YZ450F-X is an X because that is the year designation.....X = 2015

In Europe you can by the YZ as a YZ450F/E (enduro), which means a WR lighting kit and kickstand.

Have you put in enough time on the YZ450F to adapt to it ?  What map are you running ?

I thought my WR450F was really powerful when I started riding it 2 years ago.  Now its just the norm and I finding myself using more and more of its power to the point that I think I'm actually looking for more.  Now when I get on other bikes I'm thinking they are under powered, especially at lower revs.  Other bikes might be nearly as fast in a drag race, but when you get on the trail they don't have that surge of acceleration every time you twist the throttle.  Or in the case of a pipey 2 stroke, they have too much of it which results in flurry and wheelspin.  450 4ts are smooth and controllable.

I'm not saying I ride WOT all the time, because I don't.  Most of the time I'm riding part throttle controlling my speed.  But the second it opens up between obstacles, its BRAPPP time, even if its only for a few seconds.  I wonder how that would be a on YZ450F.  

first of all,

they are not turn-key with a plate in the EU,

In fact in France they put a plate on it, after they are fitted with lights, a horn and a mirror,

thing is, if a bike (or any car) has a plate somewhere in the EU, you can get it with a plate anywhere in Europe,

as for ridability on a YZ, it costs about a €1000.- aprox $1100 (by now, thanks to the greeks) to change the gears of a YZ with WR specs, Frans Verhoeven's bike has (and some others too) have a enduro gearbox, which is a bit less on-off..

the other interesting thing is, in italy is a manufacteror of a tuning box which exchanges the original ingition/ injection module, cant think of the name, but its a blue box,

it it very easily to adjust the traction/ ignition with this thing.. theer we go: http://www.getdata.i...ria=35&lang=eng

and the latest models YZ's, not sure about the 2016 model, are more build for motox, than rally,

• cubera

Posted June 30, 2015 - 03:13 AM

FYI, from what I've heard, the YZ250FX won't start without the battery.   The WR450F will.   I sincerely hope that the YZ450FX will start without a battery, just like the YZ and the WR do.

I'm not exactly sure what the YZ450FX would give you over a WR.  Of course the reverse cylinder engine will probably be a gem.  Other than that, its standard Yamaha fare. 

I'm not even sure where the weight loss is going to come from, other than simple things you could unbolt from a WR.  The new engine is probably somewhat lighter.  The frame is probably going to be a YZ250F variant, which is a couple pounds lighter.

A friend of a friend has a YZ250FX.  My friend has ridden it.  He says its nice, but not mind blowing. 

My YZ250FX starts first kick hot or cold. You mean it won't kick start without a battery in it?

• cubera

Posted June 30, 2015 - 03:26 AM

So the 2016 YZ450F weighs #247 curb. If you add #16 for the FX model which would be for the starter, battery, wiring, heavier crank to accommodate the extra gear, side stand, etc., the FX would curb at #265. That's not as obese as it might sound and is certainly at a competitive weight as is. Take about #10 off right out of the gate with an FMF exhaust, Shorai battery, and replacement of a few things with TM Designworks and your looking at a curb of #255. That's excellent IMHO.

• cubera

Posted June 30, 2015 - 03:42 AM

Similar sentiments here. I'm getting older and weaker and the 450Fs are making more power than I can use most of the time. I'm finding the 250FX has more than enough power most of the time and is easier to manage all of the time so it will be my primary ride especially at night and in Baja. I reserve the right to change my mind but seriously the FX is a versatile ride.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.