New '04 WR450 owner with a few questions

18 replies to this topic
  • ColdChillin

Posted February 21, 2004 - 05:52 AM

I just bought a couple bikes yesterday. A TTR125LE for my wife (she's never ridden a bike), and a '04 WR450. I tooled around the yard last night on the WR and was impressed to say the least. I started to buy the YZ but felt it wasn't be as versatile as the WR. Plus the electric start is sweet. I got online and looked at some websites and saw a few mods to make the stocker run better. I did the airbox mod, and took the insert out of the exhaust. I think the bike has less than one mile on it and I'm already wrenching on it. :D Anyways, I didn't ride it after I did those two mods. I did crank it up though and boy does it sound better. It even seems to start better??????? I'm sure it will run better too.

Now to my questions:
Does the "grey wire mod" apply to the '04?

Does the throttlestop have to be replaced, or can you cut the stock one to the correct length? If you can cut it, does anyone here know what the correct length is? Any help on this will be appreciated.

Also if there are any other things I need to do as far as tweaking the stock bike goes,....just let me know. I am gonna try to keep it stock for awhile because I tend to go "Mod Crazy" on bikes. I have been out of dirt riding for many years but have ridden sportbikes for the last decade+. I currently own a very nice 2000 Kawasaki ZX-12R with a slew of mods. It is wickedly fast and I love to rail on it, but I've missed the dirt!!!!!

One more quick question:
Where is the best place to get discounted OEM Yamaha parts?

Thanks guys, I look forward to sharing stories and information with you all. I joined a couple forums after I got my 12R and it was a godsend. All the guys are eager to share information on what works, what doesn't, and a host of other invaluable stuff. I have actually became personal friends with several of those guys. We hold small rallies every May and September over in East Tennessee. We get together and ride Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ride Parkway, and several other twisty roads. It all started from an internet forum such as this.

Sorry for such a long first post. I'll try and keep it shorter next time. :)

• Agent

Posted February 21, 2004 - 06:47 AM

Hey there, my situation is very similar to yours. I just picked up a WR450 after being off of dirt for a while and I just got a bike for my girlfriend - a CRF150. She has such a problem kick starting it I almost wish I had bought her the TTR125LE instead though. I also ride an 02 ZX-12R :D

As for the questions:
-You still want to do the gray wire mod for the 04

-You can cut the throttle stop or just be lazy and go to the dealer and buy a YZ throttle stop. Check out www.thumperfaq.com and http://www.off-road..../runright.html for more info on mods.

-I’m not sure of a good place to pick up cheap OEM stuff.

Other things you should do to you bike:
-Buy the James Dean jet kit (can be bought on this site). It really made my bike run better.

-Put radiator guards on your bike. I have been told countless horror stories of WR owners getting their radiators ripped off out in the field. I picked up some from flatlandracing.com and they are very nice (skidplate too). Others here can vouch for the Flatland guards as well as Devol guards and Utah Sport Cycles’ guard.

-I’d also personally recommend getting some new handle bars. I picked up some Pro Tapers with the CR high bend and I like them a lot better – especially when standing up. They are also much tougher than the stock bars.

There are a lot more you could do but those are what I’d consider the essentials. I'm still a n00b so I sure some other WR owners with more insight will have some other suggestions as well
:)

• endurodog

Posted February 21, 2004 - 06:47 AM

Cold welcome!

I'll partially answer one of the questions for you. The throttle stop can be cut to length and I can't rememeber the correct length. It's just a screw so it's easy to cut. After that mod you should be set to go. The bars are a weak point from Yamaha. They are made out of something a little firmer than hot butter. Enjoy

• ColdChillin

Posted February 21, 2004 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for the comments guys, I like to be "In the know" about my bikes.

Agent,
A 12R rider eh??? Then you know power my brother. :)
The big 12R has to be the all around best bike I've ever had. You piped & PC'd yours yet??? You can drop a lot of $$$$$ FAST on those things. I have far too many dollars in mine, but have friends who are approaching the $30k mark!!!!! NOT ME!!!! Thanks for the info on the WR, I will probably do the basic stuff pretty soon.

eurodog,
So did you cut yours??? The one pic I saw regarding this mod had the carb off the bike. Does the carb have to be removed to do this??? If I knew the length I'd hack that bad boy down to size with my dremel today!!!!! :D Thanks for your help.

• tctrailrider

Posted February 21, 2004 - 08:32 AM

If I knew the length I'd hack that bad boy down to size with my dremel today!!!!!

The proper length will stop the bottom of the carb slide at the top of the throat. Start trimming until your there. Revoving 7mm sticks in my mind but not certain.

• ColdChillin

Posted February 21, 2004 - 09:19 AM

TC,
So I guess you do have to do the mod with the carb off the bike eh?

Also, with the airbox mod and exhaust insert removed I'm wondering if the bike is gonna run lean?

• 5spoke

Posted February 21, 2004 - 10:09 AM

I think I cut mine down to 19.2mm.

You can take the cover off the right side of the carb without removing the carb. Remove the screw and cut it to 20mm and replace it.

Then undo the front clamp on the carb, the rear boot and the fuel line. Pull the carb back off the head and now you can rotate the carb slightly so you can see the slide. Keep grinding the screw down from 20mm to around ~19mm until the slide is all the way up when the throttle is fully opened.

• ColdChillin

Posted February 21, 2004 - 10:25 AM

Thanks 5Spoke, I will try and do this mod before the weekend is over. I'm anxious to see how the bike responds to these mods. I will post my results.

• Gashira

Posted February 21, 2004 - 04:45 PM

TC,
So I guess you do have to do the mod with the carb off the bike eh?

Also, with the airbox mod and exhaust insert removed I'm wondering if the bike is gonna run lean?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ColdChillin

Posted February 21, 2004 - 04:50 PM

Well so far so good. The airbox and exhaust mods helped the bike out. It feels pretty good, but after a couple hours of riding I realized that the throttlestop mod is a must. You barely twist the grip any at all and you are bumping the stop. That has to be choking the thing down bigtime. If all goes well I'm clipping the wire and cutting the stop tomorrow.

• Oouthere

Posted February 21, 2004 - 05:02 PM

The throttle stop screw mod will turn the WR's power up about 200% without any other mods. That was my first. The second happened on its on.....the insert broke and fell out during our first trail ride. Another nice improvement but nothing compared to the throttle screw.

Rich

• Archadian

Posted February 21, 2004 - 05:30 PM

You should wire up a toggle switch instead of just cutting the grey wire. I did and it works great, when I climb hills or do track riding, I switch it off (I call it YZ mode) Then when I'm out at Ocotillo Wells doing long, straight trail riding, I switch to WR mode. Just remember to turn the ignition off before flipping the switch. I did all the other free mods too and had to drop my jet needle clip one position to enrichen the mixture because after doing the airbox and exhaust mods, the bike hesitated and ran lean. Anyway, you should notice the biggest difference with the wire mod.

I love my WR! :) :D :D

• mtrablue

Posted February 21, 2004 - 05:31 PM

now for the warning part. don't cut the screw too short. it does have a function. if it's too short the linkage in the carb will act as the stop and can be damaged. if you can, remove the gray wire connector from the plug. if you cut it make sure there is no way the two ends will touch. your gunna love this bike.

• Agent

Posted February 21, 2004 - 09:29 PM

Agent,
A 12R rider eh??? Then you know power my brother. :)
The big 12R has to be the all around best bike I've ever had. You piped & PC'd yours yet??? You can drop a lot of $$$$$ FAST on those things. I have far too many dollars in mine, but have friends who are approaching the $30k mark!!!!! NOT ME!!!! Thanks for the info on the WR, I will probably do the basic stuff pretty soon.

I never got around to putting a PC and pipe on it. It seemed that whenever I had any extra money a new bike ended up in the garage :D I have had that bike for about 2 years and I am thinking about selling it in the spring. I really like the bike but it isn't always the best bike for the northwest mountain twisties. I am smitten by the new crop of liter bikes - the new ZX-10R is looking pretty nice :D

• endurodog

Posted February 21, 2004 - 10:24 PM

eurodog,
So did you cut yours???

Yes I did cut mine. I just removed the cover over the throttle cables and I was able to get the stop out with out removing the carb.

• RichBaker

Posted February 22, 2004 - 12:12 AM

Cut the throttle stop,your dealer should be able to get the right length from the TSB, 19mm sounds right, but mine was done by my dealer as part of the prep... cut the gray wire or install a switch, and you might want to check these people out for a better exhaust insert, I haven't tried one yet , but I've heard good things about them. exhaust insert :)

• ColdChillin

Posted February 22, 2004 - 04:56 PM

Agent,
The 12R needs to be messaged to be at its' potential. Take my word, it's kinda like the WR, a diamond in the rough. There are certain mods that morph that bike into a whole new machine. That being said, the new liter bikes are AWESOME!!!! We are entering a new realm with this crop of 1ks.

UPDATE ON MY MODS FELLAS :

Let it be written that I am STOKED about the little 450 after the mods are now completed. Oouthere is probably right about the throttle stop. Man the bike just rips now, totally impressed. One of my friends I ride streetbikes with (he rides a modded FZ1) rode the bike today. He too,...was very impressed. He couldn't believe how good the little thumper ran. The thing wheelies good now. :D Sometimes TOO good. :) I still can't get over how just a few simple mods transformed the grin factor that this bike produces. I love it!!!!!! :D

• 5spoke

Posted February 22, 2004 - 05:11 PM

Don't forget to do the chain slider mod 'Chain slider mod' a.s.a.p. It doesn't take long for the slider to start eating away at the swingarm.

I used two sided tape to stick a piece of rubber down between the slider and swingarm. When I check it today the tape had turned into powder.

• ColdChillin

Posted February 23, 2004 - 02:18 AM

Thanks man, I didn't know about that mod. Looks as if it is a worthwhile mod, and an easy one at that. Thanks for the heads-up on this. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.