Which gearing?

6 replies to this topic
  • bopper450

Posted June 23, 2015 - 09:18 PM

On my 2012 I ride all mountain terrain/ and also extremely tight and technical single track. I would like my first gear to be slower so I don't have to pull in the clutch so soon on gnarly descents. What gearing would a guy go to?

• matt71

Posted June 23, 2015 - 11:26 PM

What gearing have you got now ? I have 13/50 on my bike and its not too bad but im thinking i might even go to 13/52 .

• Chaconne

Posted June 24, 2015 - 08:54 AM

Ironman has a 53. What do you have now?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobpara

Posted June 24, 2015 - 10:01 AM

The stock gearing is not too bad, but for really tight stuff maybe one tooth smaller on the front (That way you dont need a new chain or anything to go back)

One tooth LARGER is awesome for a super motard or road riding applicatiom

Mike will break 100 mph with a 15T on the front

• Chaconne

Posted June 24, 2015 - 06:20 PM

The stock gearing is not too bad, but for really tight stuff maybe one tooth smaller on the front (That way you dont need a new chain or anything to go back)

One tooth LARGER is awesome for a super motard or road riding applicatiom

Mike will break 100 mph with a 15T on the front

Agreed. His bike is a 2012 though might be a good time for a new chain too depending on wear. The stock chain is pretty good, though rocks beat mine up pretty fast.

Bob, noticed you are from Ma. whereabouts to you ride? I am up on the North Shore near the NH border.

• bopper450

Posted June 25, 2015 - 06:59 AM

It has the stock gearing, and ya it's just first gear I want to drop for when it's super technical

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted June 26, 2015 - 09:36 PM

I highly recommend 12/50.  I installed 12/51 on my bike and 12/50 on 2 others.  It makes the bike so much easier to ride and versatile.   Makes 2nd and 3rd gear way better for climbing and running tight trails too.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.