2004 YZ450F Losing 40-50% of Compression

1 reply to this topic
  • boss351

Posted June 23, 2015 - 05:36 PM

Hi all, I recently purchased a non running 04 YZ450F, the guy who I got it from couldn't tell me much about it. When looking it over I found it had no compression and wouldn't fire.

I did some searching on here and someone recommended listening for air hissing when kicking it, sure enough I could hear air running back through the carb when kicking it over. I took it to Yamaha and had them shim the valves and verify top dead center on the timing.

When I picked the bike up they told me it was still not running and was still losing 40-50% of it's compression. They suggested it's something wrong with the head itself and most likely not the piston or rings. It kicks over fine, though it is probably too easy (this is my first 4 stroke). They wanted $1500 to tear the engine down, I'm fairly confident I can get it apart and back together, but have no idea what to look for or where to start.

How does the auto decompression work on these bikes, could it be causing my compression to escape?

How about the hot start lever?

Is it more likely a valve not seating in the head, and would a complete head off ebay remedy this?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2015 - 06:08 AM

Don't get ahead of yourself.

The first thing to do would be to have a leak down test done at a local shop.  This will tell you what's leaking compression and how much. 

Auto decompression is not likely to be the cause of any problems. Read: http://www.thumperta...e/#entry5732518

Once you know where the problem is, you can go from there.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.