2001 WR426 exhaust questions...

15 replies to this topic
  • spankme144

Posted June 22, 2015 - 04:02 PM

Hello fellow Yamaha riders!

Long time reader first time poster...

so last summer I bought a 2001 wr426 for $1700 (CDN$).  All it needed was a set of tires, get the valves shimmed and some stickers to cover up the beatup weathered plastics...

It's my first ever 4 stroke. Always owned 2 strokes.

She looks good, she rides great! Very happy with the bike.

15wzehj.jpg

With that said, I can't stand the stock exhaust note.. I've been looking around for FMF mufflers and what not, first of all any reccomendations? Doesn't necessarily HAVE to be an FMF it's just all I can find right now..

Also does an exhaust from say a YZ426/WR400/YZ450 fit on a WR426?

I pulled off the exahust and it's just one big massive pipe going right to the header.. I see FMF pipes on ebay, well the slip ons and they look like this tiny little thing, looks as if it's missing a whole mid pipe leading to the header..

My pipe looks something like this..

IMG_1187.jpg

I'm a rookie with this stuff, so help and advice would be appreciated..

On a side note my buddy has an '04 YFZ450 quad with a GYTR exhaust we slipped that on my bike, didn't bolt on to the frame or sit right but it was just for a quick start up experimentation to see how it sounded, what a BEAST of a sound. It sounded like a harley davidson. I got that envy for wanting a new exhaust...

Edited by spankme144, June 22, 2015 - 06:56 PM.

• spankme144

Posted June 23, 2015 - 04:40 AM

Cmon guys. Wheres the love?!

• dirtdawg21892

Posted June 23, 2015 - 04:59 AM

Congrats on the new bike! I've got an fmf for mine, but I'm Not really sure what you're asking. if you like the sound and it fits, go get one. =)

• spankme144

Posted June 23, 2015 - 07:14 AM

Congrats on the new bike! I've got an fmf for mine, but I'm Not really sure what you're asking. if you like the sound and it fits, go get one. =)

Thanks. I found an ad selling an fmf q4 for 2006 yz450. He thinks itll fit my bike.. Think it would fit on the 01 wr426?

• dirtdawg21892

Posted June 23, 2015 - 10:13 AM

i have no experience with the '06 so i cant honestly say, but probably. my bike is an '02 426 and the pipe is off a yz250f (can't remember the year). 

i would say go for it, as long as it looks like it has the joint and mounting points in the right spot it should fit.

better yet, bring the bike with you when you go to pick up the pipe and make sure it fits before you pay for it.

• spankme144

Posted June 23, 2015 - 11:17 AM

i have no experience with the '06 so i cant honestly say, but probably. my bike is an '02 426 and the pipe is off a yz250f (can't remember the year).
i would say go for it, as long as it looks like it has the joint and mounting points in the right spot it should fit.
better yet, bring the bike with you when you go to pick up the pipe and make sure it fits before you pay for it.

http://www.kijiji.ca...iteLocale=en_CA

He wants me to make an offer...
What do you think? Keep in mind its CDN$...

• spankme144

Posted June 23, 2015 - 04:19 PM

My bike is parked at my buddies place and hes away right now. I wish I could find the measurement lenght of the stock exhaust pipe.

• matt71

Posted June 23, 2015 - 11:37 PM

The 06YZ has an alloy frame . the exhaust wont fit your bike .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spankme144

Posted June 24, 2015 - 06:14 AM

The 06YZ has an alloy frame . the exhaust wont fit your bike .

Hey man thanks for your input. You think theres a way to modifying it into fitting??

Im gonna assume its a wee bit short, perhaps i can add some of those muffler extensions??

• matt71

Posted June 25, 2015 - 03:28 AM

Unless your getting the pipe for free its probably not woth it . i would just wait for one that is for your bike . or just put up a wanted to buy add and let the sellers come to you.

• spankme144

Posted June 25, 2015 - 07:10 AM

Unless your getting the pipe for free its probably not woth it . i would just wait for one that is for your bike . or just put up a wanted to buy add and let the sellers come to you.

Well i paid $250 cdn for it already.(he showed me his receipt he paid $550 for it) Couldnt pass up that kind of discount. Im gonna make a project Of it... I can get all the needed pieces from work for cheap, muffler extensions, etc... Exhaust work is relatively easy, as long as you got the right tools and parts.

If i cant make it work i will sell.

One question, any idea on the diameter of the header pipe? I know the exhaust is 2", pretty sure the header is like 1 3/4" or something..

My bikes 45 min away cant measure it just yet.

Edited by spankme144, June 25, 2015 - 07:16 AM.

• spankme144

Posted June 29, 2015 - 04:21 PM

j6lq40.jpg

;)

Edited by spankme144, June 29, 2015 - 04:24 PM.

• Baldwin

Posted June 30, 2015 - 01:52 AM

Ok tell us how.....

• dirtdawg21892

Posted July 01, 2015 - 09:07 AM

Nice!

• spankme144

Posted July 12, 2015 - 02:09 PM

Ok tell us how.....

well the guy who sold me the pipe also provided this thing, whatever it's called... The pipe was about 2" short (give or take), this thing really made it all work.

2m5zeh0.jpg

2yvrkv4.jpg

The assembly.. everything fits. The subframe bolt doesn't line up but it's still really solid. Took it for a 2 hr ride yesterday, lots of hills and trails, so the exhaust is perfect. I had to move the rear brake resevoir down a couple inches because it was too close to the pipe I was scared it would have eventually melted, strapped it to the bike a few inches lower, it all runs proper. Also used some high temp gasket where the pipe meets with the header.

Total investment was $250 and that was just for the pipe.. Got the high temp gasket sealer for free from work.

All in all, I managed to fit a FMFQ4 exhaust for a 2006-2009 YZ450 on to my 2001 WR 426. I saved large as a new FMF powercore 4 from the shops here is like $400 after taxes. The pipe I got was used

but it's in mint condition and the guy said he only used it twice before he injured his back and stopped riding.

Edited by spankme144, July 12, 2015 - 02:15 PM.

• Baldwin

Posted July 13, 2015 - 02:45 AM

Thanks for the info!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.