Steel Rear Sprockets?

4 replies to this topic
  • Bryan426racer2002

Posted February 19, 2002 - 05:40 PM

What are your experiences with steel rear sprockest? It seems to me if they last longer, and are 1/2 the price an extra pound is worth it. What brands of steel are good, or are they all the same? Any shared experiences would be greatly appreaciated.

• lou

Posted February 20, 2002 - 09:42 AM

Brian, I read somewhere that the steel sprockets last much longer...but some people have broken hubs when rocks get jammed between chain and sprocket.The steel doesn't give.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CAL

Posted February 20, 2002 - 10:19 PM

I have always ran steel sprockets for durability and cost reasons. I have a Renthal aluminum sprocket on my 426.....NEVER again! The teeth are actually bending and burring from contact with the chain rollers. As soon as it gets too bad to run, I'm getting a Sunstar steel sprocket.

BTW-I have a Renthal O-ring chain as well. It stretches every ride. After about 2 hrs of riding, it needs to be tightened. :)

• oldnbold

Posted February 20, 2002 - 11:20 AM

I saw this last week on TT and bought this sprocket but haven't installed it yet. The sales rep states this sprocket weighs 4 oz more than a renthal aluminum. It does feel heavier, but boy did they machine some material away. I hope it is a good as advertised.

www.ironmanprockets.com

• lewichris

Posted February 20, 2002 - 12:18 PM

Rocky mountian ATV. Rear sprockets $14.99
Front $6.99 Steel sprockets. Now that is cheap. And they have worked great for me since i have been using them. plus the BEST customer service anywhere. And a DID 520X120 for 31.99. that is the best i have ever seen. As far as buying a sunstar goes give the cheapos a try first. you might be surprised.

http://www.rockymoun...sp?sid=00649190

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.