Runs Great after re jet for the first hour and then sputters

5 replies to this topic
  • shckonase

Posted June 19, 2015 - 07:12 PM

Recently bought an 08 wr450 with low hours. I bought it jetted for sea level with a fmf Q4 pipe, snorkel removed, and grey wire cut. All of which I was told was done by the dealer when the guy bought it new. I believe him. it ripped and pulled the wheel up easy in 3rd. I live at ~4500 ft and do most of my riding between that and 6000. Still rode fine when I got it home just noticed a little less power and throttle response. I put about 400 miles on it with no issues before my jet kits came in the mail. 

got the GYTR AIS removal kit, JD jet kit, RD flex jet, and a boyesen quickshot. Did the AIS removal, put in the red needle from the JD kit (clip 3rd from the top), Swapped a 175 main jet for a 168, swapped a 50 pilot for a 48. Put the thick O-ring on the AP timing screw. Installed the flex jet and set to 2 turns out. Set the Boyesen to ~ 45-50. 

I rode it to work the following morning (~30 miles. most of which done in low to mid 5th) and it all seamed great. Felt like it had more power but still needed some tuning (still had somewhat of a off idle bog if I ripped on the throttle). All in all I felt pretty good about it. Then on my way home from work about half way back it started sputtering pretty bad with some occasional popping coming off the throttle and a significant decrease in power. I figured I must of left something in the carb with my dirt hands. It felt very similar to other motorcycles prior to a good carb clean.

I pulled the thing out again that night and went through it all with some carb cleaner and some air. Rode it to work again, felt great. But on the way home the same thing happened, but this time started earlier in the ride and got worse than before. 

I've got a fair amount of experience working on these kinds of things. Never had any problems with carbs or jetting that I couldn't fix or at least determine a problem. Never really truly fine tuned a carb, I just throw the approximate right jets in there and if its better than before, idles nice and accelerates good I usually leave it at that. I've been reading forums nonstop since I got the bike. Don't think I've gone to bed before 1 am since. But with all that researching I have not come across a similar issue. Granted I have specifically been looking for performance mods and jetting, and not for solutions to issues because, I didn't have any issues.

What could possibly be the issue? Why would if run great in the morning for an hour and then fail so bad on the way back?

In the morning its pretty cool out. I have to layer up. I work in the NV Desert so the bike sits outside all day in the sun. When I ride back its pretty warm out. 80-90. That made me think I was over heating or low on coolant. But the radiators are full, and I don't get that high pressure coolant overflow. 

The last 5 miles or so of my ride in and beginning of my ride back is dirt road which I rip on, spinning the rear wheel pretty good, but no harder than my average trail ride. Before I re jetted I had the thing in the sand for a while doing some hill climbs without issue. 

I'd like to get some opinions before I pull the carb back off again and either try one more clean, or put the old jets back in.

Please Help. 

• shckonase

Posted June 19, 2015 - 07:45 PM

Correction, I used the blue needle, 3rd from the top. Also just realized that I followed the instructions for an 06 yzf (dummie). gonna pull it all out again and move the needle clip to the 4th from the top. put the 160 main jet in. says to use the stock 162, but I don't have that. I may do most of my riding around 4-6000 feet, but I still do alot between 6 and 8 so the 160 should be alright. Even though I had my jetting wrong, I'm hard pressed to beleive that is my only issue. Why would it run nicely in the morning and then so horribly on the way home?

• RMK800

Posted June 19, 2015 - 08:03 PM

Correction, I used the blue needle, 3rd from the top. Also just realized that I followed the instructions for an 06 yzf (dummie). gonna pull it all out again and move the needle clip to the 4th from the top. put the 160 main jet in. says to use the stock 162, but I don't have that. I may do most of my riding around 4-6000 feet, but I still do alot between 6 and 8 so the 160 should be alright. Even though I had my jetting wrong, I'm hard pressed to beleive that is my only issue. Why would it run nicely in the morning and then so horribly on the way home?

Do not move the needle to 4th, it won't pull as hard in the mid. I ride between 4500 to 9000ft and tried both those settings. You should also consider using the YZ needle, NCVS. Boats.net for 10.00.

I also run the 160mj with a 45 pilot. 48 is too rich. Get yourself a merge brass fuel screw. Don't buy those cheap aluminum ones.

Not sure about the 08, but I would consider doing the accelerator pump upgrade that was available for the 450R for the FCR carb.

I have all these FCR mods and the throttle is excellent in my 07.

Edited by RMK800, June 19, 2015 - 08:08 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shckonase

Posted June 19, 2015 - 11:09 PM

I'll look into that yz needle for sure. Not a fan of the flex jet?? I've only heard good things about it. Which AP upgrade are you referring to? I've put the thick Oring that came with the JD kit around the timing screw, but I know there's plenty of others.

Just put the 160 main in and the red needle at the 3rd position. gonna pick up a 45 pilot tomorrow. Figured I'd try the red needle out because it says its for high temp use and that's the only difference between my morning and afternoon commute (prob around 50 in the mor and at least 80 in the afternoon). I'm hard pressed to believe that jetting's my only issue though. I was running a 175 main and 50 pilot at this elevation with no issues. 

I'll go for a rip tonight, but wont be able to get a true test in until tomorrow 

• RMK800

Posted June 20, 2015 - 05:07 AM

I'll look into that yz needle for sure. Not a fan of the flex jet?? I've only heard good things about it. Which AP upgrade are you referring to? I've put the thick Oring that came with the JD kit around the timing screw, but I know there's plenty of others.

Just put the 160 main in and the red needle at the 3rd position. gonna pick up a 45 pilot tomorrow. Figured I'd try the red needle out because it says its for high temp use and that's the only difference between my morning and afternoon commute (prob around 50 in the mor and at least 80 in the afternoon). I'm hard pressed to believe that jetting's my only issue though. I was running a 175 main and 50 pilot at this elevation with no issues.

I'll go for a rip tonight, but wont be able to get a true test in until tomorrow

This is what I'm referring to.

http://crfsonly.com/...ate-crf450r.php

You can get away with larger pilots until the bike gets hot. When it's hot outside, a larger pilot can make the bike more difficult to start on the trail. Plus this bike isn't cold blooded.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 20, 2015 - 05:41 AM

45 pilot is the correct jet

42 for above 8,000 feet, but 45 will still work

Adjusting the fuel screw with a hot motor, starting with a low idle, and seeking a higher idle with the fuel screw, is your goal.

If you have a time related issue, you should do a stator test, on a cold and hot stator, to see if you are getting an electrical problem due to an overheated stator.

It happens all the time, especially if someone ran the bike for years, on the stock (too lean, hot running) jetting.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.