Water Pump Impeller removal 05 WRF450

6 replies to this topic
  • BAnd05

Posted June 19, 2015 - 05:36 PM

Hey all,

I've read a lot about needeing to rmove the case to get the impeller out, but also that it can be done with a  wrench while holding the kick starter in place. Anybody here actually got that to work? Not sure which direction to turn?

Total Newb when it comes to repairs here!

• rah7777777

Posted June 19, 2015 - 06:25 PM

Just did mine last weekend when I put on the Boyesen pump on. 2006 model

Take a ratchet and turn the blades lefty-loosy. As you turn you'll hear the engine spin and notice when it's on compression (gets harder) I put it just to that point and hit the ratchet with a rubber hammer. After hitting and going back to compression a few times and doing over, it broke loose.

I did the same thing to tighten it. All reality I think my dewalt 20v impact would have worked too (I was being lazy as it was inside and I didn't want to go get it)

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2015 - 10:21 AM

Then there was the guy who broke the drive tang off the impeller shaft because he took a short-cut by leaving the crankcase cover on...:excuseme:

He found the extra $30 expense to be somewhat annoying.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BAnd05

Posted June 24, 2015 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the advice, rah7777777 and grayracer513. I went ahead and ordered a new cover gasket so I will remove the cover after all. I also have an experienced neighbor riding shotgun, so I should be OK after all.

• rah7777777

Posted June 24, 2015 - 05:56 PM

I didn't even know there was a need to take a cover off. I didn't read any instructions, just dove in. Glad I didn't mess anything up.

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2015 - 08:53 AM

Water pump replacement:

• rah7777777

Posted July 07, 2015 - 05:41 PM

Very interesting. Learn something new everyday.
What exactly can break?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.