Where to find engine #?

8 replies to this topic
  • Smur3

Posted February 20, 2004 - 11:02 AM

2002 WR426F...where is the engine # located? DMV paperwork on new purchase needs to be done asap and am wondering if there will be any difficulty looking for engine# (can't check the bike from where I am now). Thanks!

Also, what do you all think of this starting drill for it?
1. Pull in decomp lever and kick through 3 times easily.
2. Raise kick starter, release decomp lever, and kick down firmly until the compression strongly resists the downward motion.
3. Pull in decomp lever and kick just a few degrees further.
4. Release decomp lever and raise kick starter all the way to the top.
5. Leaving decomp lever RELEASED, kick good to fire.

• sjw

Posted February 20, 2004 - 11:49 AM

go to the Yahama web site . there is a starting drill that works.

• BigDesto

Posted February 20, 2004 - 12:18 PM

right side of engine near the kick starter!!

Kick through til you find TDC, then pull decomp lever, push kick starter down about 2" come back up release and kick through!

Also check-out Doug Dubach starting drills on Yamahas Web-site as mentioned above!

• kirkw

Posted February 20, 2004 - 12:56 PM

Bigdesto's start drill below works perfect. It is a knack, but once you get it you'll start 1st or second kick all the time!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kirkw

Posted February 20, 2004 - 12:59 PM

Oh yeah, one other important thing. When you kick it over, don't kick har donly at the start liek you would with a 2 stroke. Smooth, strong kick all the way through.

• Smur3

Posted February 20, 2004 - 03:18 PM

Thanks everyone. You wouldn't believe (or maybe you would) the time we had in the desert with a new (to my friend) 426 last weekend! A million kicks, no starts. We towed it and bumped it all day so we were not to be denied riding time! We had the starting drill right, all except for one small, tiny, critical detail which I'm not willing to say publicly :)

• kirkw

Posted February 20, 2004 - 03:29 PM

Oh, let me guess. The fuel was off????? Not that I have ever done that before.

• Smur3

Posted February 20, 2004 - 03:42 PM

It may be worse than that but I'll leave that up to you. Gas was on, but the decomp lever was kept engaged for the final kick, every time, dozens and dozens of times, through three or four people--none of whom had owned a bike with manual decompression before, so... DUH!

• r1superstar

Posted February 22, 2004 - 09:28 AM

2002 WR426F...where is the engine # located? DMV paperwork on new purchase needs to be done asap and am wondering if there will be any difficulty looking for engine# (can't check the bike from where I am now). Thanks!

Also, what do you all think of this starting drill for it?
1. Pull in decomp lever and kick through 3 times easily.
2. Raise kick starter, release decomp lever, and kick down firmly until the compression strongly resists the downward motion.
3. Pull in decomp lever and kick just a few degrees further.
4. Release decomp lever and raise kick starter all the way to the top.
5. Leaving decomp lever RELEASED, kick good to fire.

And if it's cold out or your bike has not been started in a while, remember to give her two-three twists of the throttle.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.