new radiator and coolant change but is it flowing?

7 replies to this topic
  • Chansharp

Posted June 16, 2015 - 03:53 PM

hey i had bent the left side of my radiator so i replaced it and filled it with engine ice coolant..started it up and felt the hoses and didn't feel anything moving i could pretty much squeeze the tube together..no sure if thats normal..anyone have any insight? does it only pump under acceleration?

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2015 - 04:29 PM

They don't pump very well at idle, but they should very visibly move coolant.

With the bike cold, there isn't very much reason not to lift the cap off and just watch it move around. Just be sensible about how high you rev it. You should see it move, and be able to see movement from the left side to the right. If not at all, you may need to check the pump to see if there's a problem.

Beyond that, with the system filled, the thing to look for is heat at the top tank on the side where the hose from the head connects to the radiator. That's hot water from the engine, and if it circulates right, you'll be able to follow the heat on the radiators as it moves down toward the pump.

• Chansharp

Posted June 18, 2015 - 04:55 AM

Ok so here is was I observed I started the bike and lifted the cap and was visibly more full and would fluctuate up and down with the throttle. It was actually getting more fluid not just bouncing around from the vibration. I couldn't really tell if it was moving to the left radiator but I'd imagine with the cap off it doesn't building up pressure to push it over there. Wen I turned the bike off it went back down to normal level. Does that all sound like its working correctly?

• grayracer513

Posted June 18, 2015 - 06:03 AM

Does the top tank get warm as the engine heats up?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chansharp

Posted June 18, 2015 - 07:41 PM

well good news went riding tonight and both radiators got quite hot but not too hot i wouldn't think..even after a new piston,rings,pin, surclips, both intake valves and all new stem seals it is still quite hard to start when its hot like if i kill it during a race. basically the only thing i didn't replace is exhaust valves and springs . It seems to start much easier if i open the enrichner knob? ( 2010 yz450f) not sure what would be wrong maybe just the mapping if the knob makes it start? any ideas? 

Does the top tank get warm as the engine heats up?

yes they were both hot at the top.. above the actual cooling fins

• grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2015 - 06:15 AM

It seems to start much easier if i open the enrichner knob? ( 2010 yz450f) not sure what would be wrong maybe just the mapping if the knob makes it start? any ideas? 

yes they were both hot at the top.. above the actual cooling fins

It's circulating then.

The '10's do like to use the "cold start knob" even when warm, but it doesn't enrich anything.  Enrichment is handled by the ECU based on input from the coolant temp sensor.  The pull knob just adds more air to raise the idle speed.

• Chansharp

Posted June 19, 2015 - 06:38 AM

I guess I'll just get used to using it then. Just a bummer seeing everyone else kick their bike right back over lol

• BGoyins

Posted June 19, 2015 - 07:39 AM

Also make sure idle speed is correct... That also helps with starting.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.