Yamaha WR450F questions

27 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted June 16, 2015 - 11:08 AM

Update: didn't end up buying the bike had a massive knocking noise from the bottom end.

They are all pretty noisey. If you pull in the clutch most of the noise goes away.

• Jack8745

Posted June 16, 2015 - 11:11 AM

They are all pretty noisey. If you pull in the clutch most of the noise goes away.

Oh really? Held the revs at a steady rpm and it wasn't as loud the knock as soon as I let them drop to an idle it came back took it for a ride and when under load there was a like crunching/grinding noise which made me think bottom end was going?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 16, 2015 - 12:12 PM

You can't typically 'hear' a dying crank, until it's too late.

Usually you are hearing the cam chain or piston slapping around.

• 270winchester

Posted June 16, 2015 - 01:45 PM

Or the very loud clutch when in neutral (which is normal)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted June 16, 2015 - 04:02 PM

Oh really? Held the revs at a steady rpm and it wasn't as loud the knock as soon as I let them drop to an idle it came back took it for a ride and when under load there was a like crunching/grinding noise which made me think bottom end was going?

Crunching and grinding don't sound good. However they are noisy at idle until you pull the clutch in and chain slap can also be noisy.
The best way is to listen to another one. The one you rode could have been run with no to low oil.

Edited by stevethe, June 16, 2015 - 05:09 PM.

• Jack8745

Posted June 19, 2015 - 01:43 AM

Or the very loud clutch when in neutral (which is normal)

Yeah I didn't realise this. Only time I pulled the clutch in when idling was just before I put it in first to test ride it

• Jack8745

Posted June 19, 2015 - 01:45 AM

Crunching and grinding don't sound good. However they are noisy at idle until you pull the clutch in and chain slap can also be noisy.
The best way is to listen to another one. The one you rode could have been run with no to low oil.

I checked the chain thinking it was that but it was quite tight but like you say only way I'll definitely know is if I look at another bike

• Jack8745

Posted June 19, 2015 - 01:46 AM

Another thing I noticed was in first gear it seemed really bogged down and struggling to go.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.