WR450F '12+ muffler inserts: pea shooter vs. std vs. GYTR

8 replies to this topic
  • WRF-Rowdy

Posted June 15, 2015 - 01:30 AM

I've got the standard end cap insert, 20.2 mm ID and the "pea shooter" insert 13.2 mm ID

That means the pea shooter insert offers only 42% of the orifice area the standard insert does.

Can someone educate me on the "GYTR" insert for the stock aluminum exhaut?

I'm talking about the "GYT-5TJ93-75-01 Quiet GYTR mufller insert as seen here:

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000YF8X8M

That ID looks really huge!  Are there any fancy internal workings, or is it just a straight pipe?

TIA

edit:

zooming the pic on my screen measuring it and calibrating it with my end-cap

I end up with an ID of 26.5 mm for the GYTR Quiet insert.

That would be and orifice area of 158%, compared to the standard insert!

(or 369% of the pea shooter)

Edited by WRF-Rowdy, June 15, 2015 - 01:57 AM.

• chu

Posted June 15, 2015 - 04:20 AM

http://www.thumperta...pipe-saves-big/

This thread might be a good read.  The street legal muffler might be different though.

• WRF-Rowdy

Posted June 15, 2015 - 05:38 AM

What an awesome thread, thank for pointing me to it! :thumbsup:

I was astonished to see packing material inside the stock muffler

http://www.thumperta...-5#entry5922184

Shouldn't we change that from time to time to keep the noise in check? :unsure:

There appears to be no Yamaha part-no for the packagin, though.

Edited by WRF-Rowdy, June 15, 2015 - 05:40 AM.

• mikenash

Posted June 15, 2015 - 09:26 PM

What an awesome thread, thank for pointing me to it! :thumbsup:

I was astonished to see packing material inside the stock muffler

http://www.thumperta...-5#entry5922184

Shouldn't we change that from time to time to keep the noise in check? :unsure:

There appears to be no Yamaha part-no for the packagin, though.

Any after market muffler packing will work just fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WRF-Rowdy

Posted June 15, 2015 - 10:18 PM

Any after market muffler packing will work just fine.

Yikes! So you guys ARE in fact repacking the WR450F muffler? :shocked:

Hmm, I've got some white blanket type packing material lying around

from the time I had an EXC muffler on my WR400F. Never repacked it though.

I'll give that a try. Do I need to stuff in as much as possible?

Or should it be a loose fit?  Never had a muffler requiring repacking. :blush:

• mikenash

Posted June 16, 2015 - 05:56 AM

I have never had to repack my muffler on my wr but at some point I need to do it. I run an FMF which is a year old and holding up great. If you need to repack your silencer/muffler you grind off the rivets and pull out the insert and take off the old packing and wrap on new packing firmly then put it back together.  

• stevethe

Posted June 16, 2015 - 06:46 AM

I've got the standard end cap insert, 20.2 mm ID and the "pea shooter" insert 13.2 mm ID
That means the pea shooter insert offers only 42% of the orifice area the standard insert does.

Can someone educate me on the "GYTR" insert for the stock aluminum exhaut?

I'm talking about the "GYT-5TJ93-75-01 Quiet GYTR mufller insert as seen here:
http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000YF8X8M

That ID looks really huge!  Are there any fancy internal workings, or is it just a straight pipe?

TIA

edit:
zooming the pic on my screen measuring it and calibrating it with my end-cap
I end up with an ID of 26.5 mm for the GYTR Quiet insert.

That would be and orifice area of 158%, compared to the standard insert!
(or 369% of the pea shooter)

Hey Rowd if your looking to pick up whatever ponies you can you should look for a straight through can with no baffles in it.
I use a 08-09 YZ450 header with a straight through FMF muffler. The shorty 08-09 YZ450 muffler with all the cones knocked out of it and a Pro Moto billet end cap would be equal to the FMF pipe as it ends up straight through.
The Pro Moto billet end cap also comes with a tunable sheet metal cone that you can cut larger or leave it smaller for less noise.
I run the straight through FMF set up on my supermoto street bike. It does require re packing about every year and a half to keep the noise down.

• WRF-Rowdy

Posted June 16, 2015 - 07:07 AM

Hey Rowd if your looking to pick up whatever ponies you can you should look for a straight through can with no baffles in it.

Well, I'd like to pick up as many ponies as possible w/o sacrificing inner city night rideability. :thumbsup:

My reference is the '03 WR with the european/aussie welded stainless steel muffler, an awesome compromise.

Never have been pulled over because of the noise, when riding home after the movies.

I can imagine that the straight through mufflers with perforated core and packing material are great,

power wise, because they do not build up any back pressure compared to the baffled ones.

Except I doubt, they'd enable hassle free driving in densly populated areas. :naughty:

I run the straight through FMF set up on my supermoto street bike. It does require re packing about every year and a half to keep the noise down.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is the meager thickness of the stock muffler's packaging layer.

They tried to create a crossover between baffled and repacking, I'd guess.

• stevethe

Posted June 16, 2015 - 09:29 AM

Well, I'd like to pick up as many ponies as possible w/o sacrificing inner city night rideability. :thumbsup:

My reference is the '03 WR with the european/aussie welded stainless steel muffler, an awesome compromise.
Never have been pulled over because of the noise, when riding home after the movies.
I can imagine that the straight through mufflers with perforated core and packing material are great,
power wise, because they do not build up any back pressure compared to the baffled ones.
Except I doubt, they'd enable hassle free driving in densly populated areas. :naughty:

The only thing that strikes me as odd is the meager thickness of the stock muffler's packaging layer.
They tried to create a crossover between baffled and repacking, I'd guess.

One of mine is a street only bike and it's not that loud especially with decent packing. The Pro Moto end cap on the 08 YZ muffler allows it to be quiter with the tunable baffle.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.