need advice on busted ignition cover

4 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted February 19, 2002 - 09:12 AM

Last Sunday I landed on a beginner who was not able to roll over a double in a straight line or "keep his line". My bike landed on his shattering my ignition/flywheel cover. Of course all the oil blew all over my boot after the 30-40 ft it took for me to come to a stop. At home I removed the cover to find some magnesium particles scattered in the ignition, flywheel area. I plan on removing the flywheel & the cover underneith the flywheel to check for more particles. Is there anything else I should do or not do to avoid any damage????

• brockr

Posted February 19, 2002 - 03:17 PM

There shouldn't be any oil in the fly wheel cover, unless your shift rod seal is leaking. check to make sure the case is not cracked letting the oil leak through.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: brockr ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 19, 2002 - 05:22 PM

David, Not too long ago I was in a head on collision with an XR400 and poked a big hole in my cover. I put a tire patch over the hole and made it home ok. I wouldn't worry about it. Needless to say you need to give your bike an oil change and replace the cover. Yes, their is oil in there, that's totally normal. I replaced my cover with the stock oem cover for about 75 bucks. I know that Pro-Curcuit makes them too. How's your health. I sent you a card when you were in the hospital a few months ago but you were released before it got there. Good luck.

Dan :)

• Dirt_Bike_Dave

Posted February 19, 2002 - 06:38 PM

Hi David,
I've got a stock ignition cover(98)* that i'd be happy to sell you for $30. includes shipping.
Yamaha lists the same base part #5_ _ 15411-00-00 for all years 98-02 yz/wr.
email: (626) 794-3425.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 20, 2002 - 04:28 AM

Dan, thanks for the response. I thought/knew that oil was in there at all times as I have lost the center cover on my 99 & oil came out then. My only concern is that when I took the cover off there were pieces of the cover all in the back side of the cover under the flywheel. So I am going to remove the flywheel, remove the bottom cover(attached with star bolts) & flush out what I can find.
By the way thanks again for the card. I feel great actually better than before. All follow up test have been excellent. Had a "nuclear stress test" 2 weeks ago where they measure heart rate with me on a inclined treadmill for 20 min & inject some solution in my vein & take some pictures w/ heart rate very high. All came out excellent. I am very pleased from this wake up call. Thanks for asking & appreciate the advice.

DBD: I already purchased replacement cover but thanks for the discounted offer.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.