13 replies to this topic
  • abrown2669

Posted June 11, 2015 - 09:43 PM

Changing plastic on my bike and 2 of the screws spin freely and won't back out . They're located on the gas tank. Any advice on the easy way to go about getting them suckers out. Tried needle nose vice grips with no luck.

• ToadilyInsane

Posted June 11, 2015 - 09:55 PM

Reach behind the frame and hold the nut on the back side.

• Will.A.R.

Posted June 11, 2015 - 11:25 PM

What year and make of bike please

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted June 12, 2015 - 03:57 AM

Its probably threaded into a sleeve in the tank so no nut to grab right? One thing to try is gently prying up on the bolt with a flat head while trying to back it out with your socket on a drill

• abrown2669

Posted June 12, 2015 - 05:41 AM

08 yz450f.

• abrown2669

Posted June 12, 2015 - 06:17 AM

The sleeve in the tank is sticking out just enough to get the needle nose vice grips on it but when I try to back the screw out everything spins. Does all that just pop out and pop in? Not sure how it attaches to an and don't want to get to aggressive with it. I'm sure it's a common problem. I just don't know "the trick" yet.

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2015 - 08:00 AM

The molded-in thread inserts in the tank, right?

First, devise a tool or combination of them that will allow you to put prying or pulling pressure upward/outward on the shroud, as id to pull it off without unscrewing, as if it were nailed on.  A pair of needle nose wedged behind the shroud may work.

Then, put a socket and extension, or some similar lash-up into a power drill.  Spin the bolt as fast as it will turn, prying out on the whole thing at the same time.  This will usually extract the entire insert from the tank, after which you'll be able to get a good enough grip on the insert to get the bolt out of it.  Glue the insert back into the tank with a two part epoxy like JB Weld.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • abrown2669

Posted June 12, 2015 - 02:10 PM

Thanks grayracer513. I already popped my plastic over the bolt to get a better look. What if I just got a good hold on it and pulled the puss out of it. Or will that damage my tank.

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2015 - 02:32 PM

That might work, but you'll have better luck by prying up on it and spinning it with a drill.  ;)

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted June 12, 2015 - 02:44 PM

If the insert is spinning in its cavity but wont come out easily, prying it all upward can put it in a position where the plastic will "grab" the insert

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2015 - 02:46 PM

No, it won't, (never has) but it will move the remaining plastic out of the way and allow it to be removed, as explained.

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted June 12, 2015 - 03:10 PM

Yes i should have added that if it didnt work like that it would wear itself a way out of the hole giving you a solution to your problem

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted June 12, 2015 - 03:11 PM

But for me on my 04 it grabbed and my bolt came out

• abrown2669

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:29 PM

Thanks everyone as soon as I get a chance to work on it I'll let ya know how my luck went.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.