WR450F 12+ muffler noise at low rpms and ~1/4 throttle

4 replies to this topic
  • WRF-Rowdy

Posted June 09, 2015 - 02:05 PM

I'm a little bit dissapointed about the obnoxious noise the racing muffler makes with the WR insert (the one with ~20mm orifice, not the pea shouter) Coasting along at realitvely low rpms and 1/8 - 1/4 throttle it really sounds bang-bang-bang. When one accelerates a littel bit towards mid rpms the noise becomes much more gentle less impulse-typish.

I can live with an exhaust making noise at WFO but I don't like the noise at low power cruising.

I can say anything about precieved noise for bystanders, I'm just talking about what reaches my helmet, presumable from the rear.

I really loved the non-US/rest-of-the-world WR450F'03 muffler, really silent, and still >41hp at the rear wheel.

Questions:

- is that aluminum muffler one that can/should be repacked?

- is that maybe actually the aluminum frame resonating?

- can I rubber mount the muffler somehow to decouple it from the frame?

TIA

Rowdy

Edited by WRF-Rowdy, June 09, 2015 - 02:06 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 09, 2015 - 02:56 PM

Wear earplugs.

You are experiencing 'hemholtz resonation' inside your helmet, like all of us.

It's a phenomenon that amplifies a narrow band of sound, usually the loudest one.

Don't you do anything else besides OCD on your WR all day long ???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WRF-Rowdy

Posted June 09, 2015 - 04:17 PM

Wear earplugs.

No can do. Riding the bike should be fun, wearing earplugs definitely is not.

You are experiencing 'hemholtz resonation' inside your helmet, like all of us.

It's a phenomenon that amplifies a narrow band of sound, usually the loudest one.

So it's the helmet not the exhaust?  Wouldn't that have happened on the '03 WR as well?

Don't you do anything else besides OCD on your WR all day long ???

Hmm, what's OCD? 

I've changed from an '03 to the '12 only three weeks ago, first week being 6 days of off road riding in Italian mountains.

I've to discover a lot of differences to the '03, yet. :goofy:

Today for instance I've skipped work and pestered the mechanics at my favourite work shop while using their "chicken shed DynoJet" for a couple of runs.

I've still got to find a way to read in the 3,5" floppy disk :banghead:  the dyno PC was writing my run files to.

The result in short: 41 RWHP (the '03 had 43) so basically all fine.

I'll get them a new keybord in return and will try to migrate the DynoJet software from Win95(!) to Win7 or at least XP (and hook up the isle PC into their LAN!)

Just be patient/forgiving, I'll calm down soon. :rolleyes:

I'm merely under the assumption that maybe a lot of things I wonder about have long been solved/explained by you TT guys, hence my many threads.

But as I loathe people that are happy with an answer how to do something w/o being interested in the reason behind,

I might be resurfacing topics that "have been solved a million times before"  but w/o explaining the reason why the TT soultion is the correct one. :naughty: 

Being a technician I cannot learn things by heart, I NEED to know and understand the logic/reason behind. 

Btw. same goes for a university buddy of mine:  We simple are taken aback that his now 18 years old son doesn't WANT to know how a clutch works or why a car needs one, he just requests to know when to step on it and tries to meomorize the occasions.

But I first have to get the '12 to start as peerlessly in gear as the '03 did. That'll take a while, I guess. :cry:

Edited by WRF-Rowdy, June 09, 2015 - 04:29 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 09, 2015 - 04:24 PM

Damage your hearing. See if we care.

• stevethe

Posted June 09, 2015 - 05:17 PM

No can do. Riding the bike should be fun, wearing earplugs definitely is not.

So it's the helmet not the exhaust?  Wouldn't that have happened on the '03 WR as well?

Hmm, what's OCD? 

I've changed from an '03 to the '12 only three weeks ago, first week being 6 days of off road riding in Italian mountains.
I've to discover a lot of differences to the '03, yet. :goofy:

Today for instance I've skipped work and pestered the mechanics at my favourite work shop while using their "chicken shed DynoJet" for a couple of runs.
I've still got to find a way to read in the 3,5" floppy disk :banghead:  the dyno PC was writing my run files to.
The result in short: 41 RWHP (the '03 had 43) so basically all fine.
I'll get them a new keybord in return and will try to migrate the DynoJet software from Win95(!) to Win7 or at least XP (and hook up the isle PC into their LAN!)

Just be patient/forgiving, I'll calm down soon. :rolleyes:

I'm merely under the assumption that maybe a lot of things I wonder about have long been solved/explained by you TT guys, hence my many threads.
But as I loathe people that are happy with an answer how to do something w/o being interested in the reason behind,
I might be resurfacing topics that "have been solved a million times before"  but w/o explaining the reason why the TT soultion is the correct one. :naughty: 

Being a technician I cannot learn things by heart, I NEED to know and understand the logic/reason behind. 
Btw. same goes for a university buddy of mine:  We simple are taken aback that his now 18 years old son doesn't WANT to know how a clutch works or why a car needs one, he just requests to know when to step on it and tries to meomorize the occasions.

But I first have to get the '12 to start as peerlessly in gear as the '03 did. That'll take a while, I guess. :cry:

Spunky.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.